• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5 I4 -> 2.8 V6 swap questions

Sounds like you already have your mind made up about this. Be sure to take some pictures about the work you do along the way and let us know how it works.

Check out some of the V8 conversion on here and other forums. Some of the ideas have got to apply or at least give you some ideas.
Sold mounts: Not using JUST the stock mounting points anyway.

OK, If you guys are done discouraging him, here is how it should pan out. You will need the 2.8L bell housing out of an 85 or 86 XJ. It will bolt to the new engine. You need a fly wheel out of the camaro, or out of the XJ and remove the counterbalance weight from it. Stock 2.8 XJ clutch with the matching slave cylinder. XJ 2.8L motor mounts will work along with 2.8 radiator, however it would be better to get a 2 row radiator for this application. Use your wiring from the fuel injection for the engine. Your intake will have to be drilled and tapped for the analogue temp sending unit for gauge. Also you will have to do a little plumping for the oil press sending unit and have two sending units on one port, one for the ECM and one for the gauges. Replace the in tank sending unit and pump with one out of an 87 and up XJ with 4.0 Throttle linkage cable out of an S10 will probably work too.

Fuel tank sending unit from an xj will not work, this is an mj. Sadly they are different and mj units are no longer made and ultra hard to find. Swapping the pump itself should do the job though.

also try 60degreev6.com for info. lots of current info there. I have an 86 xj with carbed 2.8 that I want to put fuel injection on so alot of the same questions came up on donor vehicles and what would work. The later 2.8's have larger crank journels so the reliabilty is much better. A 3.4 has a longer stroke and larger bore, more ponies, more torque, better for off-roading and racing

Back