• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1997 GMC Suburban 3/4 ton 4wd diesel

Lawn Cher'

NAXJA Forum User
I've finally decided to part with my tow rig.

It is a 1997 GMC 3/4 ton Suburban 4wd with the 6.5 turbodiesel, 4L80E automatic transmission and NP241 transfer case.

Has 201,xxx well maintained miles. Body and interior are decent, drivetrain is excellent. It needs tires and a windshield.

Some of the customization is as follows: H2 wheels, full exhaust, open intake, 3-bar MAP sensor for added boost, EGT & boost gauges, upgraded fan clutch, remote mounted PSD, auxiliary fuel filter, trailer brake controller & grille guard w/ Hella driving lights.

Recently replaced parts include: shocks, front brakes, batteries, glow plugs & controller, VSS, wastegate solenoid, APP assembly. Other parts replaced under my ownership include: vacuum pump, alternator, injection pump, lift pump, fuel tank, CDR valve, thermostats, AC compressor & condenser, and fan clutch.

I'd like to get $7000 for it.

I was just thinking about your rig today for some reason... Want to trade for a 99 Expedition :D? I'd love to have it.

What kind of fuel mileage does it get (besides crappy, it has to be better than the Ferd)

Last edited:
If diesel wasn't so dagum high, I would seriously consider this thing......

DSC01060.jpg

IllianaXJ said:
Werd, it's $3.85 here vs. $3.25 for unleaded.

I'm not sure what the fuel economy is on this thing, but usually, if you do the math, it is still cheaper to drive the diesel (when looking at fuel economy, anyway).

Just to compare...

Say you get 13 mpg in a gasser over 300 miles. That'll cost you $75 at your unleaded price.

Now say you get 18 mpg in a diesel over 300 miles. That'll cost you $64 at your diesel price...

Thanks for the pic, Trav. It averages 16 mpg with mixed city/hwy driving in my commute. It also seems to get that on highway trips averaging 70-75 mph. If you keep the speed closer to 60-65 it does better, some specimens are capable of 21. I have never measured it while towing. The problem with Pat's logic, in my situation I also have to drive it 70 miles a day commuting and it just doesn't make sense for that. I'd love to just get the additional economical automobile and save the Sub for towing, but my wife says we have too many cars as is.

So for the time being, I will be driving Jen's '01 XJ Limited and she will be getting something new, small, cheap and economical. She likes the Scion XB, but we'll see what actually happens. I think I can live without a heavy hauler for awhile, and depending on how my other Jeep project turns out, I might just build one. I took her Jeep to work on Friday, and I must say it feels great to be back in an XJ for a DD.

Back