• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1994 Country, can't pass smog

SanDiegoXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Has a new engine, 6"+ lift, all RE components, 33" tires, rock rails, sye, etc.

Many have seen it already. It's locked up front, but not in the rear.

It's a great Jeep, it runs wonderfully, it just had an engine rebuild done about 2 years ago, and since then, it's had less than 5k on it. For the last 4 years I have fought with smog. I replaced the Borla system with a replacement OEM system hoping that would fix the issue. NOx is still at 1200.

I'm done with it. Before I send it to the scrap yard, I was curious if anyone else was interested in it. If you're looking for a trail only vehicle, or you know something I don't about lowering NOx I don't and want to take on the challenge, I'll take best offer and get the POS out of my sight. Otherwise it's going to ecology or a local car buyer for whatever they'll give me.

I'll try and get some pics when it gets back from the smog shop. I'm going to have them do a $105 diagnosis. If they can't find the problem...I can give you a price once I get one from a scrapper. I know they go for as low as $100 to as high as $1000.

With Regards to looks, mine isn't so pretty. It's been a rock crawler and it has it's scars. But it runs well and climbs well. If anyone can find a solution to the NOx issue or is looking for a green sticker trail vehicle, it's a good base to start with.

Pics are here from the last run I have on photobucket

Depends what I can get whole vs. a really quick part out. It does have a dana 44 and a locked dana 30 with 4.56 gear and pretty new tires. If I can get more going that route, may do it.

Right now it's still sitting at the smog shop waiting on a diagnostics. I should have more word tomorrow or the next day. If I can fix it by welding a pipe or replacing a gasket, I may do it. I'm curious to see what their diagnostics say.

After the rebuild the jeep had a vibe. I tore the thing apart and went through it with a fine tooth comb. Everything is dead on and most of it is new. When I got it all back together, not a leak or vibe anywhere. Thought I was finally done with this thing. I'm just baffled now, and I'm tired of throwing money at just to have to go through the same damn thing every two years.

Sorry, this should have been in the For Sale forum. Just realized. =(

As for price, I have one soft offer for $500 cash, so I guess that's where the bidding would start.

As for parting it out, that would only happen if at least one buyer wanted enough to pay more than $500 offer of driving it away.

IMHO, the only things that might be worth parting out:

Dana 30 w/ Aussie Locker 4.56 Gears
Dana 44 open 4.56 gears
Rebuilt engine with less than 5k

Tranny and T-case are good, but aren't upgraded and are fairly old.

The engine is the real value, but if it can't pass smog or can't go in a car that doesn't need smog, it's not much of a value. It doesn't run hot, so I think the problem is in the exhaust, but I have no idea where. I've replaced everything from manifold to tail pipe. The problems first started when a Borla header and catback went on. This time I took them off and went back to all OEM aftermarket.

I would be interested in the wheels,but also understand they would be the last parts to sell before the axles.

Pics are here from the last run I have on photobucket

Damn, my hair was short & blonde back then!! I don't think OceanJet's hair has changed, though...

I hope you get the smog issue sorted out, Mike -- you're fun to wheel with!

Carol

I'd love to get the 3 piece grill if someone buys it and parts the thing out.

Wow, this is a hotter item than I thought....

Anyway, as it stands now I'm going in the order substantial bids were proposed since they're all about the same ballpark.

1. Papercut
2. Tharlanjr
3. JohnX (I actually thought you were kidding, but I had PMs before that post)

I hate bartering, and getting rid of this thing is painful enough without dragging it on by parting it out.

That jeep is the whole reason I decided to finally build mine. Hope she goes to a good home.

That thing is a beauty.

I was feeling done with my 88 about a 1-1/2 years ago when it wouldn't pass. I encourage you to stick with it and keep her on the road. It's worth it.

True XJ fans should NOT encourage parting out.

Last edited:
Back