• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 Comanche Eliminator...DD

jeepcomj

NAXJA Forum User
picked this up for $250 a couple weekends ago. trans was in the back. PO started to replace the slave cyl and clutch but didn't have the cash for the parts, so let it sit for a year.

I saw it when I was driving to my brother's house to pick up the title for the rusty 4 cyl comanche he traded me for my hp desktop, because a XJ-Arnie was coming to buy it that day (I didn't want another project truck lol). long story short, I sold the other comanche for $450 with alot of spare parts including a 4.0 conversion, and bought this one same day for $250.

brought it to my new place, and I've been working on it a little here and there. I put the bellhousing back on so I could mount the CPS and make sure it even ran before I worked on it. had some issues with the fuel rail leaking so I got another one from the junkyard, replaced all the O-rings, and swapped that out. then jacked the motor up so it sat level and the fan didn't contact the shroud, tossed a battery in, and brought the little beast to life. she purrs like a kitten.

before I even got to making her run, I removed the drop-in bedliner as it was full of ice and garbage, as well as gutted the interior to inspect the floors and make sure there were no mice in her. the floors are basically mint, as is the inside of the bed.

rockers and cab corners are pretty much gone, and the wheel wells are rusty in the back. but it's a straight body so I will repair those issues as time goes on.

anyways, these are the options it came with
ax15 5 speed
np231 transfercase
d30 front, 3.07 gears
d35 rear, 3.07 gears
a/c
cruise
tilt
split rear
sun roof
alloy rims (part of the eliminator trim)

the oddity of this truck is that there weren't many 4x4 eliminators. that, and this thing's pretty much a 5 speed clone of 89eliminator's wheeling truck.

plans are np242 transfercase for daily driving, maybe lower the front around 1" and the rear around 3/4" using 4 cyl coils and xj shackles, since it's going to be a DD.

the only thing that sucks is I didn't get the keys...the PO hid them from her son since he likes to steal cars and apparently she hid them too well. I have a complete tumbler set for it, but I had to (properly) tear the column down just to get it home.

012300_152900.jpg

012300_152902.jpg

012300_153003.jpg

100_0260.jpg

100_0259.jpg

100_0262.jpg

012300_152900.jpg

012300_152902.jpg

012300_153003.jpg

100_0260.jpg

100_0259.jpg

100_0262.jpg

100_0258.jpg

100_0280.jpg

100_0279.jpg

100_0278.jpg

100_0277.jpg

100_0276.jpg

100_0288.jpg

100_0289.jpg

100_0290.jpg

100_0291.jpg

100_0292.jpg

100_0285.jpg

new transmission and transfercase...the old trans has water in it and is frozen, so I will let it thaw and rebuild it to sell. this trans is from a YJ so the tcase angle is 2 degrees up higher than the MJ/XJ ax15.
the t-case I'm using is an np242...for a daily driver, I'd rather go with the optional full time/part time.
100_0286.jpg

old trans and tcase
100_0287.jpg

sunroof. it's removable, dealer install according to the paperwork.
100_0283.jpg

bed cleaned out
100_0282.jpg

100_0281.jpg

Looks like a good project truck. Not to bad on the rust. I have a back window if you need it. One piece though.

Looks like a good project truck. Not to bad on the rust. I have a back window if you need it. One piece though.

thanks woody...I've got a few split rears in my storage garage, so that's good to go.

you still have that 4 cyl MJ up there? I'd like to buy it....

-Pat

Looks a lot like the '90 Eliminator I had, except mine was black. Pretty much the same option list; 4.0, AX15, NP231. I didn't have the sunroof though.

Good canvas for a DD project!

thanks.

well, ordered the new slave and master cylinder, will pick them up on friday.

need to do before I can drive it:
re-install trans with new clutch, slave, pilot bushing, and master as well as new trans and tcase fluid, and swap to np242 shifter and linkages
valve cover gasket
PCV system needs replaced/repaired
air filter
oil change
check serpentine pulleys, replace and clean as needed
t-stat, and replace t-stat housing with ported H.O. housing
swap to open system (closed systems SUCK)
coolant flush
top off differentials...I'll be replacing them sooner than later with rebuilt ones, which I will rebuild, prep, and paint prior to removing from these trucks. I'll also put the lighter load coils up front and xj shackles in back at that time
clean and paint the small amount of rust on floors
clean and undercoat underside of floors
install interior after cleaning the seats and carpet
swap out the rims and tires.
replace split rear window

so, alot of little things to do

thanks woody...I've got a few split rears in my storage garage, so that's good to go.

you still have that 4 cyl MJ up there? I'd like to buy it....

-Pat

I still have it. Still need to do that swap on the 85 before it can go.

I still have it. Still need to do that swap on the 85 before it can go.

I have a one-up on that for you.

96 xj w/ 120k, complete harness dash and engine bay, all electrical, 4 cyl engine, 5 speed trans. I don't have a transfercase though.

but, I have everything you would need to do the swap with zero custom wiring, and it gives you obd2

I've got a spare 231 laying under the XJ in the garage....
;)

unless it's 21 spline long input, it won't work. that said, unless kim is looking for it, I have no interest in any more parts right now...

Back