• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

10W30 in the AX15 and AX5

Well, the Mobile1 gear oil got bought reluctantly because the owner's manual in my 1995 states that a GL4/5 oil is to be used. I've never heard of putting GL5 in a transmission, but the manual said to do so, so I gave it a shot. I'm guessing after reading this thread that ChryCo changed this spec. It's (Mobile1 gear oil) definitely not the right stuff for the AX15. So, the BMW dealer has a GL3/4 gear oil available? All of my manual tranny BMW's had ATF in the gear boxes. What models came with gear oil?
this has been covered before: Both the owner's manual and the shop manual specify GL5, but it's a mistake, later corrected, and when I put GL-5 into my 95, it shifted like crap, and a month later when I drained it out I thought I had struck gold. Fortunately I did it soon enough, and the tranny lived on for another hundred thousand miles or so (and counting, at 262K), but do not trust that manual. I put in Valvoline synthetic, even though it specifies GL-5, and it's been fine ever since.

I know that this is an older thread, but does anyone have any real life experience with running 10w30? I'm swapping out a BA10 for an AX-15 and this is a real appealing option to me.

I know that this is an older thread, but does anyone have any real life experience with running 10w30? I'm swapping out a BA10 for an AX-15 and this is a real appealing option to me.

I think I would probably opt for the Penzoil synchromesh if $$ are a problem.

I changed mine, and here is what I posted in another thread:

Ok, here is the official unofficial report:

After 214.9 miles since changing from GL to Mobile-1 10w30 my AX15 shifts better, and I mean noticeably better.

The added bonus is a reduction in noise. As stated earlier, my center console and tunnel boot are not installed at this time. Well, after about 50 miles of the trip I started noticing different noises inside my XJ--small air leaks, empty soda can rolling around, and some junk rattling in the glove box! These are sounds I never heard, or was unable to differentiate them over the trans noise. Totally subjective and "in the ear of the beholder", but I swear it is quieter.

So there you are, the official unofficial and wholly subjective road test.

I would do it again in. Would you get the same/equal results with a 10w30 non-synthetic oil, I don't know.

In closing let me say that this is not a miracle fix--I still have dandruff and athletes foot, so it certainly doesn't fix everything!!
^^^^
Did you read this?

Yeah, I did, I just thought that I'd drag out an old thread to see if there were any others who were willing to share results.

I've been running synthetic 10w30 for a month now. I haven't noticed anything miraculous... just that it seems to be working just fine. The important thing seems to be that it is yellow metal safe (which engine oil is) and that the viscosity is appropriate (for which a 10w30 engine oil is).

I've been running Mobil 1 10-30 in my noisy old AX-5 for over a year after reading this and all is fine. No better or worse than MT-90 and much easier to find.
Now if the original owner wouldn't have read the owners manual that recommended GL-5, I probably wouldn't have a noisy old AX-5 with slow synchros.

Now you guys have me wondering if I should go with 10w30 or the Napa GL3. On IFSJA, they speak strongly of the Napa GL3 that you can buy by the gallon. I got some for my T18 but maybe I'll try it out in the AX15.

ahh choices choices.

i put mobil 1 10-30 in at about 208k, and am up to about 226k now. tranny is quiet and shifts perfectly hot or cold. i'll be refilling with the same thing when it comes change time again, mainly because the 10-30 is far easier to find than the redline's mtl or mt-90.

Now you guys have me wondering if I should go with 10w30 or the Napa GL3. On IFSJA, they speak strongly of the Napa GL3 that you can buy by the gallon. I got some for my T18 but maybe I'll try it out in the AX15.

ahh choices choices.

I put the Napa house brand GL3 in my AX15 right after I rebuilt it and it shifted like crap. Swapped it out for Redline MTL and it shifted like a dream. I think I'd try synthetic 10W30 if i still had the AX15.

I put in Mobil1 10-30 about 5000 miles ago and the shifting has improved greatly, much smoother. who knows what the PO's did previously, I got at nearly 200k. i plan on changing it again at the next oil change just to flush the old crap out then fill it again and forget it.

I put the Napa house brand GL3 in my AX15 right after I rebuilt it and it shifted like crap. Swapped it out for Redline MTL and it shifted like a dream. I think I'd try synthetic 10W30 if i still had the AX15.

Interesting...the full size Jeep guys swear by it, but then again, that's a different tranny all together.

Still up in the air on which to use but the mobil1 sounds promising.

Ok, time to resurrect this old thread again :)

I read thru the whole thing, and it seems like the bottom line is: Mobil1 10W30 synthetic works good in the AX15.

So here's my question: I have an AX15, and I don't know what's currently in it. Probably the OEM chrysler GL3 gear lube, since the PO worked at a chrysler dealership for a while when he owned the Jeep.

I haven't checked my fluid yet, but if it's a little low, and all I need to do is to top it off, what should I add? Can I add synthetic to the current oil? Or if it's low do I need to just drain it all out and refill it so that I know what's in there?

I don't know if it'll even be an issue or not, since I haven't checked it yet... but I just thought I'd ask so I know in advance so I'm prepared :)

thx!

-k

So here's my question: I have an AX15, and I don't know what's currently in it. Probably the OEM chrysler GL3 gear lube, since the PO worked at a chrysler dealership for a while when he owned the Jeep.

Working at the dealer, he probably used GL5 if it got changed at all. (Or maybe he thought it was a Chrysler tranny and put ATF 4+ in it!. Unless you know exactly what's in there - change it. It's not much more effort than topping it off.

Words of wisdom to go by. Make sure you can remove the fill plug before you pull the drain plug. It is possible to fill it through the shifter if needed. I've seen guys thread a hose down through the shifter hole into the fill hole, which lets them easily pour from inside.

I'd go with the Mobil1 10W-30.

Back