• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

10W30 in the AX15 and AX5

AMSOIL Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear lube meets the GL-4 specification rather than GL-5.

It also meets Chrysler spec. MS-9070, MAN 341 ML. It also replaces Chrysler part number# 4874459

matt1994xj said:
so they dont make gl3 anymore? i havent had any trouble finding any. although i havent needed to in a while.

No, the GL-3 spec was superceded by the GL-4 specification. You will start seeing GL-3 disappearing. GL-5 is actually the current specification, but GL-5 will attack yellow metals.

RichP said:
I maybe wrong but I don't think ATF lubricates, its more of a hydraulic fluid.

It's got to - automatics may have planetary gearsets, but they're still gears. And, there are both bushings and bearings in automatics - both of which require lubrication...

It's just so thin because it's also used as a hydraulic fluid. I've also used ATF as a machining/drilling/tapping lubricant, when I didn't have anything else on hand (actually works fairly well...)

RichP said:
I maybe wrong but I don't think ATF lubricates, its more of a hydraulic fluid.

Actually, it has excellent lubricating properties.
All the bearings in an automatic transmission are lubricated with it.
Transfer cases use it.

I even run the stuff in my chainsaw, weed wacker, and snow blower because it dies the gas Red so I can tell the difference. Same mix, 50:1

Ron

Zuki-Ron said:
Actually, it has excellent lubricating properties.
All the bearings in an automatic transmission are lubricated with it.
Transfer cases use it.

I even run the stuff in my chainsaw, weed wacker, and snow blower because it dies the gas Red so I can tell the difference. Same mix, 50:1

Ron
I'd hesitate to use it in a 2-stroke, because the correct oils are not only formulated to mix well, but also not to leave residues. Look around and you'll find that there are some 2-stroke oils out there that dye the gas either red or blue-green.

Matthew Currie said:
I'd hesitate to use it in a 2-stroke, because the correct oils are not only formulated to mix well, but also not to leave residues. Look around and you'll find that there are some 2-stroke oils out there that dye the gas either red or blue-green.

Shell store brand has red dye, and Homelite has a green dye.

Matthew Currie said:
I've not had a problem in the 10 years I've been using it. The engines actually run a bit cleaner than running the "2 Cycle oil" that they sell in little bottles.
...but I digress...

The point wasn't that is was or wasn't the correct lubricant to use in these devices, my point was that it is a good enough lubricant to use in a fairly abusive environment and to still lubricate the engine components.

I had a Honda Civic that used 10W30 in the transaxle. Worked rather well too.

I tried labeling my can, but the marking came off when I took a shower ;)

Ron

My dad has a 5spd 626 turbo and the dealer recommends 10w30 synthetic in place of atf originally used in it,must be alright

Ten High said:
as per chrysler, 10w30 is the proper "new" lube for the ax15. if you were to take it to the dealer that's what they'd put in.
huh? then why do they still keep selling the AX15 75-90 transmission lube ?

A lot of GM trans use ATF now too. The Peugeot guys that run the equivalent to the BA 10/5 in our rigs use 30W motor oil.

I have a friend who runs 20w-50 In his F150 its a 4 speed granny low. He uses it on his farm so he never goes over 45 -50 and he changes it 2 times a year but he has done that for 10 years.

So with all this throwing of names and numbers around, what are the definite BEST lubricants for a manual tranny and a t-case. My eyes are bleeding from reading all the posts this search can offer and quite frankly, I just cant take it anymore...:spin1:

Phil :canada:
98 XJ

MT-90 for the tranny and Mobil-1 ATF for the transfer case.

Just got back from picking up the ZJ and got to talking to the owner about lubes. The AX's came up and he was showing me a Penzoil synchromesh that is supposed to be what you end up with when you start cross referencing the chrysler lube across the board. Sure enough the penzoil states specifically that is is blended for use with sintered and bronze metals. What they don't state is whether it is synthetic or not, one of the reasons I changed years ago to Mobil-1 pre GL-5 gear lube was to eliminate that cold blooded 2nd gear in cold weather and only the synthetics do that.
The wifes ZJ was in there getting new gears and a locker, Performance driveline is a gear shop near blue mountain ski area and I've been going there for years, he's not a normal car mechanic, his thing is diffs, trannies and transfer case type stuff. In any case I'll still stick with MT-90 and Mobil-1 ATF and he agrees with that.

Back