• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

100 bucks to fill up my truck.

I smile when I hear people fuss on about fuel prices. We still have the cheapest fuel prices of any country I care to live in............. buck up, trim the fat somewhere else in your budget.

Personally,I love biodiesel. Will it solve our supply problems as a nation? No, but it is a option for a determined individual.

My work truck is a 97 F-350 diesel crew cab with a service body that weighs in at about 9800 pounds for a week of work. With my chip in the Econo Mode I can get about 20 MPG, in 160 HP Race Mode I can suprise tuner kids from 30 MPH to 70MPH ( my clutch just will not handle a hard launch :doh: ). It has been costing me over a hundred a week for months in the Atlanta area. Big deal , work harder.:rolleyes:

sereously the wife and I spend about $140 a week on fuel just for our commute any other driving compounds the issue so what we have been doing is using our best mpg vehicle the f-150 for the commute and her xj and my ranger for our weekend driving and my YJ as just once a month toy and the fuel costs went down quite a bit since her xj and the ranger get filled maybe once a month some time less often now

seanR said:
I agree with Stumpy!
Bio-deisel is way over rated.
After watching constroction companies and farmers run that shit for over two years now, the only person who bennifts from that crap are the fuel filter makers....

The problem wasn't the bio... It was the years of crap fuel you ran through the equipment.

I spend about 35$ a week on fuel, gotta love a decade old 2k$ honda that still gets 25-30mpg.

Gerr said:
sereously the wife and I spend about $140 a week on fuel just for our commute any other driving compounds the issue so what we have been doing is using our best mpg vehicle the f-150 for the commute and her xj and my ranger for our weekend driving and my YJ as just once a month toy and the fuel costs went down quite a bit since her xj and the ranger get filled maybe once a month some time less often now

I thought Id never do it but 2 or 3 years ago when the fuel prices first started to top $3, my wife and I bought an econo car (06 Kia Rio) for a commuter and to take on trips. It really made a noticable difference for her 60 mile commute going from driving her TJ (16MPG) to the Kia (34MPG). The money we save on gas on long trips pays for our hotel rooms. We all but stopped off roading because it just cost too much. The closest decent places to go are around 150 miles. Thats like $70-$80 just in fual for an off roading weekend. Add in other costs (food, hotel, campsite, offroad park fees, ect.) thats easily $150 for a weekend. Sadly, its just time to look for a hobby closer to home.

$184 in fuel this weekend to go to attica, wheel and come back.(690 miles round trip from my driveway, and I probably used a gallon trying to get out of the ice pit on green.)

Camping and park entry cost $100.
Winterfest Registration was $57.
Alternator to replace the failed one in the quary was $100.
Food was another $75 for the weekend.
in the grand scheme of things, fuel wasn't really an issue.
buck up, pay the prices and stop bitching.:cry:
Besides, everyone is ignoring the real reason that our feul prices are skyrocketing, and that's the failing dollar on the world market. It just so happens that fuel is the most obvious thing, but prices on everything are going up.

Thanks NAFTA and CFTA...

TheAlmightySam said:
just like evolution....the science is behind it.
I won't even comment on that as it'd just turn into a flame war since that's all evolution ever does...:D

I believe Global Warming is real, but I don't believe its entirely (or even mostly) caused by man. Or at the very least, I disagree with the gov't's means of trying to combat it. Car's put out so little pollution in comparison to the big factories and corporations its not even funny. The answer isn't to legislate higher gas mileage. If Americans really wanted better mileage, we'd stop buying Suburbans to carry our family of 4 and go for a wagon or even minivan. We wouldn't expect our compact trucks (do they even exist anymore or are they all "midsize"? And if there's no compact, how can there be a midsize?) to work like our fullsizes did 5 yrs ago and our fullsizes to all do HD work. If we were truly worried, the 300 wouldn't be nearly as popular, we'd be driving a lot more small cars. Look at Europe's average fuel economy. The cars there average 30-35mpg already. The only people driving big huge SUVs and trucks are people who actually need them. People don't buy crew cab diesel duallies to tow their jetski and Rhino out for a weekend vacation. If Congress wanted to make an actual impact on the environment, they'd start pressing the big corporations and their factories to be cleaner and worry less about the cars. CAFE is nothing but gubmint mandated market share control. Reduce the pollutants and let gas mileage come in secondary.
I've begun looking for a cheap used car with good mileage. A lot of Civics for sale pretty cheap even with nicer wheels and other mods so it at least looks decent. I've also been thinking of old Caprices (by old I mean the newest ones...92-96). My mom got 38 mpg out of her 92 Lumina with 3.1 V6 on the highway when she moved back to NY. Sure, she was only doing 55 and drafting the UHaul being driven by her husband, but even so, It still seems likely to expect 28-30 mpg (which she did regularly achieve on the highways in AZ. If that thing could get that mileage, a Caprice should be able to get close, 25-30 ish highway. My wife has a Focus and we drive that anytime we all go somewhere since she can almost double my XJ's mileage. I average 17-18 on the highway, 14-16 city. She averages 24 city 28-30 highway.

Last edited:
Fact: The Ice Caps on Mars are Melting. Why?

Fact: It was Hotter in the Past.

Fact: It was Colder in the Past.

Fact: The planet goes through cycles, measuring the last 500 years in geologic time is a grain of sand on the beach.

Fact: Scientific concensis is not scientific fact.

Fact: Water Vapor is 100x more effective as a greenhouse gas than co2 (or something like that.

Fact: 40,000 years ago there was 3 miles of Ice above my head where I am sitting now.

Fact: The US Government does not control the price of of gas at the pump. Its a global commodity like gold, silver and pork bellies!

How much does your state charge in Gas Taxes? I know Fed and State Taxes here in Taxachusetts are well over $2.00 a gallon. Yell at your state government not the oil companies, which i suggest you all buy stock in or a mutual fund....Big Bucks to made!!!

So relax, if we all do our own part, and take care of our envirement and recycle, ect., that would be great. But until we go nuclear, electric cars are a joke. You need petro to run the Power plants to charge up those babies.

anyway, conserve. wheelers are the best at that anyway, the way we care for our trails and who recycles parts and stuff like that more than us? No one.

Later,

Cipey

I just had some fries with my Panda Burger!

We pay the equivalent of 4.28 a gallon US here on the island. Canada's still cheaper than fuel in most nations.

You guys have it pretty good down there...

My primary issue with the global warming people isn't that the idea is not plausible. It's that they have no real empirical data to back up the argument.

Global Warming Advocate: The temperature of the earth is rising.
me: Where are you getting those numbers, whos taking them, is it at a consistent location? Have you factored in the fact that heat reflected back from the concrete jungle may have tainted those results. Can we be sure that the turn of the century readings were made with accurate equipment?

All of those questions Al Gore has no answer for. the "data" used to make the case for global warming is uncorroberated, misleading and has not been gathered in a consistent manner. So how can you compare our data to that from 200 years ago?

Back