• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

10 awg headlight harness f -up

slapshot

NAXJA Forum User
hey all.

just finished installing the 10 gauge wiring harness i created today, brutal in the cold weather here in alberta, but what the hay. thats a joke ps.

anyways. i followed fitchva's design/ wiring diagram for the harness, but think i messed up at installation. i had to jerry rig a new H4 female connection due to a size issue, during the rigging i'm almost certain one of the following things occured.

1- i mixed up the plug pattern so that the hi/ lo/ ground wires are not in the right place

or

2- initially i plugged the male H4 connection into the wrong sockets

i pluged in the passenger side etc, but left the driver side oem so that i could check out my handywork.

basically i suck.
when i turn on the lights, nothing happens, but when i pull back for the hi beams, they seem to work fine. then when i let the hi beams go the lo's come on. this sounds almost completely reverse to the issue everyone else seems to be having, with the stock fog lights etc etc.

also. when i tried to plug in the passenger side, with the vehicle off, the light goes on. pretty dangerous because of live wires etc etc.

so i've dosconnected my battery and am planning my attack for tomrrow.

i was wondering if anyone could help me decide whether i need to switch the connection at the oem harness, or on my harness at the bulb.

any help would be great and save me ooodles of tinkering.

also i dont have a voltmeter/ multimeter, so testing via that method is out.

feel free to ask for clarification if required.

much thanks

You have an old vehicle or you wouldn't be on NAXJA. Do yourself a favor and get a multimeter. Radio Shack or Harbor Freight for about $4. It doesn't seem like it matters which end of the wire you change.

Don't just love electrical:flamemad: I had to mess with mine and I found I had them wired wrong to the relays. I know you must have this but take a look at this:
http://fitchva.com/jeep/?page_id=26
Also just recheck each wire to see if it goes where it is suppose to.
Good luck.

so.. i figured out where i went wrong, the hi beams and the ground wires were mixed up.

now i have full, brighter use of my hi and lo beams,

one other problem.

when my lights are not on. my relays buzz like a mother.

i've read posts about the drl's interfering with the harness, might this be the case?

how do i fix this buzzing?

You have an old vehicle or you wouldn't be on NAXJA. Do yourself a favor and get a multimeter. Radio Shack or Harbor Freight for about $4. It doesn't seem like it matters which end of the wire you change.

Well duh they quit making XJ's 8 years ago! :D

i'm sure i could, but i dont want to take it out and f something up if it isnt the problem.

i dont have the factory fog lights, and it seems that is a common issue also. no here.

someone mentioned un-clipping the drl module or something?

so sweet.

i unplugged the drl module, no more buzzing. sweet

one more question. my driver side turn signal is fine, but the passenger side turn signal is now on steroids. i lift the lever to make a right turn, and the blinker goes mach turbo!. this is strange and i can already see how annoying it could be.

any help/ suggestions?

thx

Yeah -
Check your bulbs. I bet one of them is burnt. The thingy that controls the blinking works off of resistance - one bulb burns out, there is less resistance, the blink speed goes crazy.

so.. i figured out where i went wrong, the hi beams and the ground wires were mixed up.

now i have full, brighter use of my hi and lo beams,

one other problem.

when my lights are not on. my relays buzz like a mother.

i've read posts about the drl's interfering with the harness, might this be the case?

how do i fix this buzzing?

before you snipped the drl i was thinking maybe making sure you have a really good ground, my driving lights buzzed real bad until i grounded them better.

the drl thing is just a plug, so i unplugged it. not a big deal, but it totally stopped the buzz. I'll have to double check, but i dont think a bulb is out. hopefully that is the case.

my new harness is grounded to the battery. so. i think that's good enough?

the drl thing is just a plug, so i unplugged it. not a big deal, but it totally stopped the buzz. I'll have to double check, but i dont think a bulb is out. hopefully that is the case.

my new harness is grounded to the battery. so. i think that's good enough?

is the ground cable 10 guage too?... is the battery post clean? are you using a good terminal? like copper or gold or something you would typically use for a car audio system?

ahhh piss.

i did burn out a bulb, oh well, thats an easy enough fix.

this harness makes my silverstars bright as all heck though!

i finally got to test them out now that it is dark out.

Back