• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

.043 head gasket

Shouldn't be a problem. The only thing that might be needed are different pushrods, but then again I'm not sure the difference in gasket sizes would be enough to warrant shorter rods. More intelligent people may cover that one. Just make sure you have clean mating surfaces, and since you are changing sizes, new head bolts aren't a bad idea. Better safe than sorry.

Does anyone think the pushrods will be an issue? It's only .08 difference in gasket, I would think the lifter could accommodate. Has anyone here used it on a stock engine?

No issue and enjoy the slight bump in compression. The pistons are .0215" below the top of the block(deck clearance). Many of us builders use the thinner headgaskets (.040-.044") and deck the block so the pistons come to the top of the block(aka zero deck). .040" is considered an ideal quench(quench=deck clearance+head gasket thickness), so technically you could run a .020" gasket with the stock deck clearance and have no issues.

So how much could I mill off the head? At said amount could I still run pump gas ? Also, can you run zero deck on stock lifters without any modification to the drivetrain?
PHP:

I don't think .008" would warrant a change in pushrods(I'm not changing mine when I go from the .051" to the .040" Fel Pro 26211 PT, whenever I have a reason to take the head off of my now 40K stroker). According to the FSM, the pushrod length specs are 9.640"-9.660", so there is a .020" window. How long are your pushrods? Using the thinner HG will bump you from 8.7:1 to 8.9:1, shaving the head .010" will take it up to 9.05:1 and if you take .020" off the block, you will bump up to 9.45:1. I'm at 10:1 with the stroker and have to use 93 octane. I'm pretty sure you would still be able to use regular gas with just the HG change.

Last edited:
For those of you with the various strokers, what sort of gas mileage are you getting with those? did going to the Fel Pro 26211 PT cause any issue over the stock HG, and would there be a reasonable hp/tq benefit over the stock HG?

I haven't had a reason to take the head off yet(knock on iron), so it still has the .051" HG and my quench is .063-.065". I'd love to drop it by .011" with the 26211 PT(I bought one for my bro's half-built 4.9l that is begging to be used), but I'd also have to buy new head-bolts. If you have the head off, you might as well use it for the slight bump in compression and better quench. I'm lucky to get 15mpg even though it's lowered and weighs only 2900#: 4.10s, wide, mushy 255/60-15s on 15x7", and I don't ever have the revs below 2K.

Last edited:
For those of you with the various strokers, what sort of gas mileage are you getting with those?
Mild 4.6 stroker with 3.55's and 235-15 tires.
Average of 15 mpg for the first 2k miles. But most of my miles are the 3.5 miles to work and back! A week of longer 25 mile drives have been in the 17 mpg range. Haven't done any long hwy drives yet.

Can I run the mopar performance headgasket on a stock motor with no mods?

Yes. The Mopar Performance MLS head gasket is made by Victor Reinz and has a compressed thickness of 0.043". The new OEM replacement head gasket is now also MLS instead of composite and guess what? It also has the same compressed thickness!

I've got a stock engine except for the Victor Reinz MLS headgasket and milled the head around ten thousandths, put er all back together,rotated the engine a few times didn't feel any binding at all. I hope to gain some gas mileage in this mod in conjunction with a 62mm throttle body from JeepersandCreepers (anodizied red and looks real nice in the engine bay).

You have to have an insane cam for the valves to kiss the pistons.

If you want a better priced TB checked out http://www.strokedjeep.com/ No need to pay extra for only 62mm, unless you like red. And he also does a 63mm.

If nothing else other than to remind myself later...

I think if you were running the Yella Terra 1.7 rockers you would probably need to install the additional spacers if you were to go to a .043 head gasket.

This thread has been very enlightening. I'm almost at 30k on my stock rebuild, and want to pull the head to see what the heck this slight knock has been from the beginning (think it's a wrist pin). While I'm in there I might as well mill the head and throw on the new gasket.

How many times are you guys re-using your head bolts/studs? I remember reading the FSM saying something very vague like "if the bolts look stretched, replace them". Mine were new (from headbolts.com) when I rebuilt it 2 years ago. The set was only about $40 though so if I have to pony up for new ones it's chill.

With a .030" overbore, .010 off the head, and the new gasket, would I have to bump up to 93? I use 87 now, but the few times I've felt baller and filled up with 93, it did get about 20 more miles to the tank.

Back