• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E350 but what year?

KSXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am wanting to try the e350 swap on my 98 XJ.

First A little background on my jeep.

I have hp44 and 9' out of a 74 ford pickup. Then have chevy calipers and disc brakes front and rear. I have recently replaced the factory MC with a new one from orielys, and brake booster. We have bleed the sytem numbers times and still when you start the jeep and press the brake it goes to the floor. The rod is engaging properly but feels that there is not a enough fluid to keep the pressure.

So I am needing to know what year of E350 will bolt upto the dual diaphram booster on a 98.

I have done some searching but nothing definative and a lot of the older posts that had pictures are now red X's. So if anyone could point me the right direction I would really appreciate.

Thanks in advance.

yeah, I'm kind of in the same situation with my 00, only I kept the Ford brakes. I can't seem to find the thread, (could if I spent more time on it), but vetteboy did a write up on using a MC out of a 2500 dodge. I think it used the 96 on up. He only had to add a 5/8" spacer between the rod and piston.

If all the air is out, I can't see how the brakes are still going to the floor. There must still be something wrong. I have dana 60s with ford dual piston calipers in the front and chevy 3/4 ton calipers in the rear. 98 xj with all stock brake system. Pedal is at most 1/3 to 1/2 to the floor and the brakes are locked up with 37s. Maybe im just special though

So I am needing to know what year of E350 will bolt upto the dual diaphram booster on a 98.

None. You want a '99 Dodge Ram 2500.

whitneyj linked the thread where I reference that, and I think that should be all the info you need...the 95 ZJ booster shouldn't affect anything.

The spacer needs to be a little longer than 5/8". I still haven't fixed mine and I plan on doing something about it in the next few weeks while I've got it apart for other stuff.

ipkyss said:
If all the air is out, I can't see how the brakes are still going to the floor. There must still be something wrong. I have dana 60s with ford dual piston calipers in the front and chevy 3/4 ton calipers in the rear. 98 xj with all stock brake system. Pedal is at most 1/3 to 1/2 to the floor and the brakes are locked up with 37s. Maybe im just special though

My stock MC worked "alright" with the larger brake system. You'll actually have better stopping power with the smaller bore, at the expense of more pedal travel, so being able to lock the tires isn't necessarily the only thing you need to look at. I upgraded mine because the pedal was soft even to the point of locking 39's, and I wanted a more solid feel to it.

Keep in mind the amount of rubber lines you have will also affect things, as they'll expand more than steel lines.

must be something wrong with my setup then. I've got a hpd44 with stock ford single piston brakes and a 9" rear with stock drums and with the pedal all the way to the floor I can't get the fronts to lock up, the rear do though. I've replaced both calipers, one was seized and the other was only $19, and bled them thoroughly and still don't have that braking power. . .

Well there is only about 12" of rubber line on my whole jeep, the rest is braided or hard line. So maybe that helps some.

I have really been through a ton of axle set ups, brake set ups, and this just works nice for some reason. When I say they lock up by half pedal, I don't mean they are touchy. Very progressive. smooth, firm, not spongy. Perfect as far as I am concerned. Maybe it was just luck. Even my 95 xj with the same set up was ok. Not perfect, but ok. It also had cutting brakes and 100% braided line though. Not sure how much of a difference that makes.

All I was saying is make sure everything you have is working right before you spend money on new parts. I bled through atleast a full gallon of fluid before I had ALL the air out. Even just a little air makes a big difference.

None. You want a '99 Dodge Ram 2500.

whitneyj linked the thread where I reference that, and I think that should be all the info you need...the 95 ZJ booster shouldn't affect anything.

The spacer needs to be a little longer than 5/8". I still haven't fixed mine and I plan on doing something about it in the next few weeks while I've got it apart for other stuff.

My stock MC worked "alright" with the larger brake system. You'll actually have better stopping power with the smaller bore, at the expense of more pedal travel, so being able to lock the tires isn't necessarily the only thing you need to look at. I upgraded mine because the pedal was soft even to the point of locking 39's, and I wanted a more solid feel to it.

Keep in mind the amount of rubber lines you have will also affect things, as they'll expand more than steel lines.
That is what I used on mine with dual pistons all around, works pretty good.

Back