• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My solution for XJ drink holders

stumpXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Wasnt 100% sure where to put this, but figured it would hurt to go in here.

As any XJ owner knows, the lack of good drink holders in the XJ is a pain in the butt. I decided to make my own this morning, and just wanted to share. I am happy with the results, hopefully it gives ideas to others for a similar concept.

I used thin (about 1/16) anodized aluminum sheet for the main piece, and painted it semi flat black. I used anodized aluminum tubing for the lower shelf supports, and 1/4 thick delrin plate for the lower shelf. Mounted to the stock screwes on the center console, and also added two more on each side for weight support. I used stainless steel screws for the mounting and building duties. Its very lightweight solidly mounted.

Of course, no proper drink holder would be complete without speed holes: :)

DSCN0540.jpg

I had to make it taper out so I could fit two holes side-by-side:

DSCN0541.jpg

Mounted up, of course the e-brake can still be used:

DSCN0542.jpg

Doing what its supposed to do:

DSCN0543.jpg

~James

As any XJ owner knows, the lack of good drink holders in the XJ is a pain in the butt. I decided to make my own this morning, and just wanted to share. I am happy with the results, hopefully it gives ideas to others for a similar concept.

I used thin (about 1/16) anodized aluminum sheet for the main piece, and painted it semi flat black. I used anodized aluminum tubing for the lower shelf supports, and 1/4 thick delrin plate for the lower shelf. Mounted to the stock screwes on the center console, and also added two more on each side for weight support. I used stainless steel screws for the mounting and building duties. Its very lightweight solidly mounted.

DSCN0540.jpg

DSCN0541.jpg

DSCN0542.jpg

DSCN0543.jpg

~James
where do I send my paypal, and how much???very cool

wow. pretty productive use of a morning of boredom! looks real good

Now thats awesome. Good work!

I like it and nice work!

The only apprehension i would have is that thing is going to turn into a meat cleaver in a wreck, your arms, gut, and thighs are going to get sliced!

very nice! i've used bike bottle cages mounted to the p-side of the center console for years.

~James

Not very handy for setting that parking brake, huh? :doh:

You might want to put some cork on the bottoms to absorb the condensation from the drinks.

I dont use the e-brake very often with my auto trans., but it "sets" just as easily/good as it did before. Releasing it is a little more awkward since you have to mash the button, but totally worth the trade off to have a stable, convienent cup holder.

Cork huh... that could work. Will have to see how bad it is when its hotter out, right now it hasnt been a problem with condensation. Its kind of one of the reasons I didnt make it enclosed in the bottom, I hate that built up gooey shit that is usually impossible to clean out of cup holders.

~James

i dig it!

I dont use the e-brake very often with my auto trans., but it "sets" just as easily/good as it did before. Releasing it is a little more awkward since you have to mash the button, but totally worth the trade off to have a stable, convienent cup holder.

Cork huh... that could work. Will have to see how bad it is when its hotter out, right now it hasnt been a problem with condensation. Its kind of one of the reasons I didnt make it enclosed in the bottom, I hate that built up gooey shit that is usually impossible to clean out of cup holders.

~James

Yea, I have a 98 with built in cup holders. That enclosed area can get pretty nasty. I like the open holder, I was just thinking of all the condensation that is going to run off there. However, thinking about it more, you may not have that problem where you are. Here in Houston it's always about 99% humity so we get a lot of sweat, of all kinds.

Back