• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Softop?

WAMPAROO

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody know how that guy came across that soft top on P.32 of this months JP? For those of you who don't have a JP handy, this guy has a yellow cherokee with a roll back softop - he has an internal cage to preserve structural integrity, but it looks like something he didnt fab himself, it looks like an aftermarket thing...I don't have a XJ myself, but my brother does - i thought it looked pretty sweet as something to suggest. Does anybody know where that comes from?

This one?
5546465.jpg

softxj.jpg

Nope. Someone else posted those pics a few weeks ago, and I just ended up saving them to my computer.
The second pic, is actually scanned right from the mag, if I recall correctly.

Search around, it has been covered and if I recall it was said he used some off the shelf roll back top - He might have modified it some as well, I don't recall.

Other than that he juse cut a big hole in the roof and caged it. :laugh3:

tacoma tonneau cover i believe

its looks like a over the rail pickup soft tonneau cover

MrShaft696 said:
its looks like a over the rail pickup soft tonneau cover

I did something similar on a 58VW bug, only I used the U channel from a 66 mustang soft top tonneau cover, cut the roof open, installed the channel w/snaps and made a naugahyde cover in the sub base hobby shop at pearl harbor where I was stationed. The U shaped hard rubber material that went into the channel I got from an auto upholstery shop in a 20something foot roll, snaps I got from a Tandy leather store. It also made it easier to get the roll cage in the VW.

IIRC, Rev was really diggin' on that action. :D

if this got your attention there was also a post a while back about a removeable hardtop .... i have seen the ad in low rider mags and sport truck mags etc.

Would be cool on a 2 door. basically a gasket kit and a clamp kit, you chop at the windshield and the whole thing clamps back down. Cant speak for the quality of it, or weather resistentcy of it 4 seasons. Cool for a second or thrid vehicle though.

Back