• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C

rooster87

NAXJA Forum User
How can you tell if your a/c condensor is working? Do you hear a switch go on when you turn on the ac? I'm getting regular temp air blowing with the a/c on. Not sure if it's the refrigerant though, it's probably all gone. how could i check for those things?

Also how can you check that coolant temp sensor and o2 sensors are still good? what reading should you get on the ohms meter for those two.

it's a '93 XJ with 99k miles

Last edited:
rooster87 said:
How can you tell if your a/c condensor is working? Do you hear a switch go on when you turn on the ac? I'm getting regular temp air blowing with the a/c on. Not sure if it's the refrigerant though, it's probably all gone. how could i check for those things?
If you mean the A/C compressor (which I assume you do) you will hear a clicking noise from the pass front side of the engine bay. Also if you look at the top front of the compressor you will see the part that the belt goes around spin when it kicks on. This is referred to as the clutch of the compressor.

BigBlackHeep said:
If you mean the A/C compressor (which I assume you do) you will hear a clicking noise from the pass front side of the engine bay. Also if you look at the top front of the compressor you will see the part that the belt goes around spin when it kicks on. This is referred to as the clutch of the compressor.

exactly. ok so what initiates the clutch on the compressor? cuz i'm not getting a click when i turn on the a/c. had somebody listen for it while i turned the switch on. is there a relay or fuse for that?

rooster87 said:
exactly. ok so what initiates the clutch on the compressor? cuz i'm not getting a click when i turn on the a/c. had somebody listen for it while i turned the switch on. is there a relay or fuse for that?
There is a slew of wiring that goes with it, but I almost guarantee you it's just low on refrigerant. There is a 12v wire going to the clutch, make sure it's connected first off. Depending on your year too, looks like you're dealing with an 87, so there is a relay in the engine bay. Check this out...
Renixrelays.jpg
- give props to langer1 on this pic but that is your a/c relay.

Last edited:
Back