• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally got to flex the budget 3" lift. Pics inside.

american_zero

NAXJA Forum User
I have been lifted for a little while now and have run a few trails, but I finally got my disconnects on and took a trip to Hollister Hills (wasn't disco'ing before now). Got it flexed out and it does pretty well IMO. This is on 30" tires. I don't do any hard core rock crawling, just the occassional trail, but I found that I needed just a little more clearance under the Jeep to be comfortable. This has worked great as a budget lift.

3700122418_652df8cd53_o.jpg

3699312093_c140eb0195_o.jpg

The setup gave a pretty even 3" lift.

Front Springs: Moog CC784 springs (HD Grand Cherokee springs) with a second stock rubber isolator.

Rear Springs: ProComp leaf packs. 53111 is the part number I believe. I removed the overload leaf before installing to try and keep the ride liveable. Seems to have worked.

Shocks: The Monroes that are listed on Rock Lizard's website for their BB. Used the JKS BPE's in the rear.

Did not alter the bump stop in the front as the shocks were only 1/16" longer than stock, when compressed. Added 1" to the rear bump stop.

Used a 1996 Dakota (I think it was '96) rear brake line. Way long, but works just fine. Also, did not have to alter the front brake lines and they seem to have enough slack to be ok.

And JKS quicker disconnects in the front and I removed the rear sway bar. As much as I read about the rear sway bar not being needed, I was still expecting more of a difference when I removed it. I drive the Jeep pretty quick around on ramps and corners and I really don't miss it at all.

I think that's about covers it. It rides pretty decent and can handle being loaded down. I have had 5 people, 1 dog, tools, spare tied to the roof, and an ice chest in it while doing a light trail and it was fine. Loaded with gear, the rear end actually rides better.

I basically started reading threads here and looking at all the links people posted to different websites and write-ups and was able to cobble together the lift and install it without any prior 4x4 knowledge or experience. Now I just need to learn how to drive the thing. :roll:

Here is a rough idea of the costs:

Moog coils - $65 new on Amazon
ProComp leaves -- $220 at 4 Wheel Parts
Monroe shocks -- $120 at RockAuto (these go on sale for buy 3 get the 4th free...I missed the sale)
JKS rear BPE -- $45 at 4 Wheel Parts (there are cheap options but I wanted something easy)
Dakota brake line -- $25 at local auto parts shop
JKS Quicker Disconnects -- $145 at 4 Wheel Parts (again, there are cheaper options, but these are so damn easy to use its amazing)
Stock coil isolators -- $10 for new ones from Quadratec (could probably get these free from a friend)

So about $630 for everything (all new parts). And really, if you shopped around for some used parts and didn't buy JKS discos or the BPE's, you could probably knock that down to around $400-450 pretty easily.

What does the RE 3.5" lift usually go for? When I looked into it, I remember thinking it would cost at least a few hundred more by the time I added some good disconnects to it. I probably should have just saved up for that, but this XJ doesn't seem worthy of it. My next one will be though. :D

Did that $600 include shocks and disco's? If so, I suck.

I didn't think I would end up spending that much money on this setup, but it just sorta happened. Honestly, if the RE kit is $600 with the discos, shocks, and rear brake line, then I would just suggest that to anyone else looking at this. That is what I originally wanted and what I will probably put on my next XJ.

it included disco's, no shocks. It also has the rear brake line and lower control arms. I had bought some Pro Comp Shocks for $100 from 4WP and sold the disco's, so I ended up spending a total of $425 for everything for my lift. I've sold everything off and upgraded since then, but it was a really good quality kit for sure and I would definitely buy it again.

Back