• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a blue Jeep Hood

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
Need one of my 1985 Renix, but I think any year hood may work. Would just need to move all the hardware. But 84-90 would be an easy swap. I have a spare maroon hood, but would like avoid paint issues. In no hurry, but is one comes up let me know, near Houston. Mine has developed a serious case of cancer. The jeep itself is in great shape.

An 85 will be a 4 banger and the hoods, while the same size have completely different and incompatible hardware attachment points.

I did a 4.7L into an 85 and had to replace the hood, radiator core supports and headlight mounting sheetmetal.

Ugh.

I assumed I could just move all the old hood hardware to the newer hood?

Are saying that is not possible?

What year stuff did you use?

An 85 will be a 4 banger and the hoods, while the same size have completely different and incompatible hardware attachment points.

I did a 4.7L into an 85 and had to replace the hood, radiator core supports and headlight mounting sheetmetal.

You will have to stay with the same engine size as you have and no newer than probably 86 or 87.

I went with the 4.0L hood from an 87. It can be done but it takes a bit of work and you need a different radiator.

I know the 87, 4.0L XJ hood hardware is different...... I have 1-2, 1987 4.0 hoods. Are you saying the 87, 2.5L hood might work but not the the 87 4.0 hood? Why not? Did you try to move the 85 hood hardware to a new hood?

Was it possible, but just easier to do the radiator support, etc stuff?

You will have to stay with the same engine size as you have and no newer than probably 86 or 87.

I went with the 4.0L hood from an 87. It can be done but it takes a bit of work and you need a different radiator.

I doubt I can mess with the radiator, now that you mention it, as I have a custom 2.2 L Nissan SD-22 engine in mine.

I know the 87, 4.0L XJ hood hardware is different...... I have 1-2, 1987 4.0 hoods. Are you saying the 87, 2.5L hood might work but not the the 87 4.0 hood? Why not? Did you try to move the 85 hood hardware to a new hood?

Was it possible, but just easier to do the radiator support, etc stuff?
The 2.5L hood has the latch only in the middle whereas the 4.0L has a latch on each side. The radiator support is completely different due to the smaller radiator for the 2.5L and sits further back. The hinges are the same.

The factory parts manuals show the same hood and hardware for all 84-86 and a different hood and hardware for all 87-90 so it looks like it's the year rather than the engine that determines fit. So you should be able to use any 84-86 hood including the V-6 models.

Back