• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are the Fuel Gauge Sender Resistance values?

Twilightoptics

NAXJA Forum User
Did a search and couldn't find the numbers.

What are the resistance values for an '87 Cherokee Fuel Sender? Fuel and Empty.

My gauge reads very very lazy and I'd like to start diagnosing it.

Thanks
-Paul

Per FSM 90:

Empty ~ 0 ohm

Half ~ 44 ohms

Full ~ 88 ohms

Awesome! Thanks

I got about 2.6 empty and 92 full. Close enough! I figured with as much GM stuff on here it'd be the typical 0-90 type gauge.

Looks like I'll chase the wire down and check out what it reads at the gauge.

Alright I plugged the sender in and worked it by hand.... Gauge reads full and empty respectively. WTF.

The float ball doesn't seem to have fuel in it?!

Checked the wire at the gauge. Reads 10ohm empty, 92ohm full..... Maybe the gauge then?

Took the float off completely. I hear a little bit of fluid in it. Guess that must be the culprit.

Last edited:
So I replaced the float. Key on gauge works fine moving the float by hand. Installed in the tank pump on, it reads half full. Where are the main grounds? I've found a ground behind the dizzy, and the strap from the head to the firewall.

Is the half-full reading incorrect?

The biggie grounds are batt to block, head to firewall, ICM/ECU/o2 to dipstick tube. You will find other grounds for the headlights, instrument panel, etc., close to where the accessories are. There is a cluster of grounds in the rear of the XJ for tail/brake/turn lights.

Bent float arm, bend it downward so that the float must rise higher.

It would seem to me that the float, which is new, would be trying to float on top of the fuel and that if the rod was in the proper shape the rod would be at the end of the resistance winding, but what sounds like is happening is that the float is all the way up and the part of the rod contacting the resistance windings is contacting at the 1/2 way resistance value. Bending the rod some at the end closest the float should allow the float to return to its correct "floating" position but the bend would allow the other end of the rod to move farther down.

Make sense?

Back