NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old November 26th, 2018, 10:42
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Re: Project Unicorn - a light duty trail rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw View Post
Wasn't sure, this was a 2wd that I shoved a high pinion in, a low pinion would've had tons of room. This one took some heat and some love.

was it the cat it was hitting? would it have cleared without cats?
Old December 12th, 2018, 07:29
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Well, not a lot going on with the engine yet, still waiting on some parts to show up. Hopefully this week and can get started on it this weekend.

Did a little bit on the front axle housing.

Bought the Ruff Stuff LCA mount / coil buckets. I like the idea, but didn't consider they were made for 3" tube.

Considered cutting a chunk of 3" tube as a sleeve, but didn't like this one bit.

In retrospect I should have clamshelled the axle in 3" .250 instead of using the insert sleeves, but eh, whatever.

Brought the bracket into work and had my buddy Chris redraw it for me, at 2.5" and cut them out at SFR.

If I were going to do it again I'd tweak the bracket to move the coil 3/4" or so closer to the axle, as it sits taller than I probably wanted. That said, right now the car is rear high, so it will probably level out and be just fine.

Last edited by cal; December 12th, 2018 at 07:46.
Old December 12th, 2018, 07:31
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Before we started welding on the housing, drilled the vent hole out to 7/16, and then tapped it for a 3/8 NPT - 1/4" barb fitting so I had a better vent.

And assembled with a little blue loctite.

Old December 12th, 2018, 07:43
NAXJA Warranty Voider

I didn't like Ruff Stuff's method of retaining the coil, but I really liked how Richard did the ones on 4643, so copying the setup.

Running Currie's 4" XJ coil CE-9132F. 160 over 195 for a combined rate of 88 pounds. Should be a better ride but still perform.

Measured 4.188" ID, so grabbed some 4" DOM and cut out some coil retainers.

Its as tall as it looks. I'll trim them down with the portaband once everything is together and I see how it all fits.

This is why I outboarded the inner C's. To get proper coil spacing with the coils centered on the tube, I had to do that and trim the coil bucket both. (remember that on a stock dana 30, the coil sits forward and outboarded to where the outside of the coil is actually in front of the inner C).

This will give me room to push the axle forward 1.25" or so keeping everything aligned, *and* let me run the trackbar to the passenger side C without hitting the coils.

Went ahead and cut/installed some lower C gussets while the plasma was running.

We cut out some upper ones as well with trackbar accommodations, but didn't get that far before it was time to drop the axle off with the gear guy, where it's getting a Powertrax Grip Pro limited slip and 4.10 Motive gears, to be joined later by some Ten Factory chromo shafts and WJ outers.

Last edited by cal; December 12th, 2018 at 07:49.
Old December 13th, 2018, 11:00
NAXJA Member

Project Unicorn - a light duty trail rig

How are you planning to do shock mounts? I ran the ruffstuff brackets with a 3" outer sleeve and had trouble fitting shock mounts where I wanted to. Made things work eventually but it took a few tries

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old December 13th, 2018, 12:46
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Can't say I've thought that far ahead yet, but I'll probably hang it off the LCA mount.
Old December 14th, 2018, 11:34
NAXJA Member

Project Unicorn - a light duty trail rig

That was my initial plan - I've seen guys do it with stock LCA mounts and it looks like it works well there. But the ruffstuff brackets move the LCAs further outboard and there wasn't room. I ended up mounting mine on top of the LCA when I couldn't fit it else where.

Old December 17th, 2018, 13:49
NAXJA Member # 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal View Post
Can't say I've thought that far ahead yet, but I'll probably hang it off the LCA mount.
It's worked for me for the past 11 yrs......

Old December 18th, 2018, 00:00
NAXJA Member #1310

I used the LCA mount for a removable shock mount, useful for future changes to longer travel shocks.
When I changed from 9" to 11" travel shocks, it was easier for me to remove and replace the mounts with new mounts, having lower mounting holes, than to cut the old mounts off and welding new ones in.

01 Sport, Russ Pottenger 4.6, AW4, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac, D-30-E-Locker with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
1997 Country, Mostly stock, 2" lift, Engine mods, NP242, Towing baseplate
Old December 18th, 2018, 10:53
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyxj View Post
I used the LCA mount for a removable shock mount, useful for future changes to longer travel shocks.
When I changed from 9" to 11" travel shocks, it was easier for me to remove and replace the mounts with new mounts, having lower mounting holes, than to cut the old mounts off and welding new ones in.

This picture shows how much farther inboard stock LCA mounts are compared to the RuffStuff brackets. This was my plan but the shocks wouldn't clear the calipers at full lock.

Old December 18th, 2018, 11:57
NAXJA Forum User

Cal,

Are you running Dallas's newest motor mounts?

Trying to get a feel on the new bushing material.

I've currently got Brown Dogs (what was in there when I bought the rig) and debating on changing bushing, or getting a set of Dallas's. Normally I'd just get a set from SFR, but with a kid landing any moment I'm not as "free" with money so need to make sure it's well worth it.
Old December 19th, 2018, 14:09
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Ironically, i Juuuuust installed the new bushings. Its no secret that I get most of the SFR stuff free, but its usually the prototypes or old generation stuff.

They are certainly way better than the Brown Dog stuff. There's still more vibe than stock, but its a lot less and you don't notice it as often. You do get a little extra vibes the first couple of days until everything settles.
Old December 19th, 2018, 15:05
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Ironically, i Juuuuust installed the new bushings. Its no secret that I get most of the SFR stuff free, but its usually the prototypes or old generation stuff.

They are certainly way better than the Brown Dog stuff. There's still more vibe than stock, but its a lot less and you don't notice it as often. You do get a little extra vibes the first couple of days until everything settles.
Someone who has ORIs has given up on the concept of a vibe-free smooth ride.

Last edited by cracker; December 19th, 2018 at 15:09.
Old December 19th, 2018, 15:06
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:

Good to hear. Keep going back and forth between the order button...if only he was running a dang sale again
Old December 19th, 2018, 22:06
Associate

I just put SFR mounts in. instantly less vibration than the brown dogs that were in there.