NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > Advanced Fabrication and Engineering
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Advanced Fabrication and Engineering For when your build is going off the charts. Wildly modified vehicles and straight up buggies welcome.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old October 22nd, 2015, 10:25
NAXJA Forum User

Re: the sound of inevitability

what balljoints are in that 30?
Old October 22nd, 2015, 12:49
NAXJA Member

Synergy/Poly Performance BJ's
Old October 22nd, 2015, 12:59
NAXJA Member

the sound of inevitability

I'd definitely brace the axle C's if you have the shocks mounted there. I know you're capable of making your own but take a look at iron rock off-road and artec off-road at their knuckle braces to give you am idea

Last edited by Demonoid369; October 22nd, 2015 at 13:03.
Old October 25th, 2015, 17:35
NAXJA Member

well had a crappy weekend. Went for a quick run a couple hours away, nothing to hard. Last P/S pump crapped out so I grabbed a JY unit for a replacement. It wasn't happy at all weekend. But the worst part was the tires had too much traction and were pulling drooping the axle to far down and the control arm brackets started to crack off the frame rail. We got the welded back up in camp and went out for some night wheeling. Instead of the frame side the axle mount on the passenger control arm ripped off. The actual tab tore in half. So looks like it's time for longer arms. Limit straps as well but I already knew I'd need to run them, I just didn't get a chance to put them on this weekend.
Old December 16th, 2015, 20:40
NAXJA Member

Some vids from October.

You can see how the bad the arms are, fun climb though.
https://youtu.be/NgrIAP_SA4w?list=PL...Nmy810ona6k Y

https://youtu.be/fo-PWWCXhY4?list=PL...gWNmy810ona6kY

rest of the guys are here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...gWNmy810ona6kY

So both front fenders and the clip got chewed up in Petz so along with the control arms the front is getting narrowed.

General cut line, sorta normal stuff here:

Going to shorten the front a few more inches. With the bumper and front of the frame section I can get about 4-5" inches off. Winch can move back towards the engine quite a few inches and 45 the front rails for less crap to hit. Can't move the radiator forward anymore.

Old December 16th, 2015, 22:26
NAXJA Forum User

the sound of inevitability

Waiting to see the front. Give me some new ideas!
Old December 18th, 2015, 22:15
NAXJA Member

some stuff cut off today

removed radiator to start moving it in a tad and up. Some extra space that is going to disappear between the winch and engine.

guessing where the new bumper and winch will end up, you can sorta see a yellow vertical and horizontal line from the end of the frame rail, lower left.

Really amazing these things hold up to any wheeling given the thin metal they are made from.
Old December 19th, 2015, 19:38
Lurker

I like where this is going. Looks good.

Jon
Old December 20th, 2015, 20:36
NAXJA Member

Well determined that I can't quite figure out how high the winch and radiator go until the hood is in place. So I started working on that. Made a couple rough cuts down the side for the dove nose. Next was trying to figure out how to attach the hood to the stock hinges.

We came up with a couple ideas that involved alot of work to get the hood to match the factory curve and the 1.5" drop to the stock hinges. Decided to take a look at the stock hood again and figured on trying to use the stock bracing and attach it too the new hood.

Turns out that was an excellent idea.

Used a couple of bolts in each corner to hold the metal to the hood for now. Helps that it forces the fiberglass to the factory curve on the back. Will be glued and maybe bolted later on.

And it fits! Yeah! Also got the front cross members cut out and winch some what mocked up and in to the rough location. Also pressure washed the front to get rid of a ton of gunk.

Mocked up with the front header pieces in place, Hood line up pretty well with the header edge. Looks like I will have to move the winch down somewhere between 0.5" - 1.0" for the radiator to fit.

Planning on cutting about 1-1.5" of the front of the hood still.
Old February 24th, 2016, 08:20
Member# 2368

Updates?
Old February 25th, 2016, 17:45
NAXJA Member

front end trimmed back as far as I could. Waiting for steel and new winch plate to get finished up. Hard to see how much is gone but note the lack of bumper bolt holes and which holes are left.

I just got the factory suspension mount cut off and need to finish up grinding the remainder off. Those suck ass to remove. Will be starting on new frame lower mounts while waiting for the steel and winch plate. Also sent more order in for EMF joints. So just boring stuff so far.

Looks like we are racing the Mint 400 in a couple weeks in the vintage class so I'm sure that will slow down progress some.
Old February 27th, 2016, 22:00
NAXJA Member

crappy parts of cleaning off the frame rails today. Removed the control arm brackets. Used weld spot drill, lots of cutting and air chisel. Then cut off the lip of the inner frame as from the mock up the new arms would probably hit them. Also had to clean off the inner brackets and the lip was in the way.

That left this:

well after examining what was left I noticed the bottom parts of the rail were pretty chewed up and holes from the spot welds, so I removed these sections.

cut up to the inner reinforcement plate. This will all be plated over when the new arm mounts are made and go in.

Old June 3rd, 2016, 18:56
NAXJA Member

Well progress has been slow going but alot of progress has been made in the last few days.

Way more pictures coming soon.
Old June 4th, 2016, 10:04
NAXJA Member

so add in some radiator mounts and cut top plate for the start of the bumper:

then cut out some plates for the front, grind out opening for fairlead and winch rope:

and cut the end plates:

tack in all the plates

then weld and a metric ton of grinding and buffing:

add a front bumper and side rails:

some rolled tube to match the front clip:

testing fitting:

side supports to the shock towers:

and all for now:

Huge thanks to Jason at Twisted Customs for the above work. Decided to 'race' in the Ultra Poor class next weekend at a local series so there has been a pretty good push to get this all done. Not everything is completely final but will be done well enough for the race.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 21:49
NAXJA Member

Picture from race day back in June. Had some issue due to working on the Jeep up to 1am the night before the race. It ran like crap and ran hot for 2 laps until it died. Battery was completely drained. Course worker asked if there was supposed to be wires hanging under the alternator, co-driver jumps out and we discovered in the rush the charging cable had been laying in the frame rail. So after getting a jump and clamping the cable to terminal we were back off and running. Also found out later that a few other wires were not quite fully snapped together and the fans only ran part of the time, along with the brake booster vacuum assist.

I've had my AC pump in the system for awhile, but it's been unconnected for quite awhile. Got around to removing it and decided to move the alternator up to where the AC pump sat. So I machined off the AC bracket and the backside of the Alternator bracket and bolted them together. Took awhile to get the right sized belt but it seems to be working out just fine.

Everything is working pretty well so far. I popped the upper JJ snap ring out on this trip out, it may have just not been fully seated. Once reseated I haven't had any issues with it.

Air shocks have been working pretty well but picked up a set of 2" Fox coilovers for the front at some point.

Had a issue on this trail, caught a tree branch that bent back under the tire and when it broke it jammed a 1" spear through the grill and into the radiator. I lost 2 cores in the first layer that we had to roll back, but it's not leaking. Having some issues with the computer turning the fans on and have that to troubleshoot. Running 2 of the 3 seems to be working so far.