NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > Land Use / Off Topic and other Forums > Non-Tech / Off Topic
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Non-Tech / Off Topic The popular Non-Tech Forum. NO SPAM at all. Period.

Old August 26th, 2010, 11:17
NAXJA Forum User

Cool video about Auto X

Well I am picking up a civic as soon as its running again(burnt valve so the head is getting replaced). I have been tossing around the auto x idea for a long time and this video pretty much sums it up if you aren't familiar with it.

http://vimeo.com/12067348

Just what I need....another Hobby!
[/QUOTE]
Old August 26th, 2010, 11:24
NAXJA Member # 13

Re: Cool video about Auto X

I dabbled in Autocross before I bought my first Jeep (1992). I was one a few racing with a truck at the time.
Old August 26th, 2010, 11:52
NAXJA Forum User

From the days before digital cameras... 1.3L cone squisher.

I enjoyed it (wandering around the pit areas checking out cars was half the fun), but it's like anything involving cars- "Hey, I can run it in a stock class and do this on the cheap", but a few months later, you've moved up several classes and have spent more on the car than you paid for it, and then some asshat with no insurance rear ends you at 40mph and the car is destroyed the week you finally got it fully sorted out... and you wind up in a Jeep.
Old August 26th, 2010, 16:08
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubs97xj View Post
... and you wind up in a Jeep.
A happy ending if I ever heard one!
Old August 26th, 2010, 16:57
NAXJA Forum User

I'd love to take my car out to autox one day. Hopefully before I die of old age it'll be finished.
Old August 26th, 2010, 19:03
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexdXJ View Post
Well I am picking up a civic as soon as its running again(burnt valve so the head is getting replaced). I have been tossing around the auto x idea for a long time and this video pretty much sums it up if you aren't familiar with it.

http://vimeo.com/12067348

Just what I need....another Hobby!
A CIVIC?? Atleast get a real car if you want to go fast
Old August 26th, 2010, 19:18
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherBear View Post
A CIVIC?? Atleast get a real car if you want to go fast
Wheel your Jeep!!!!! Its a $900 car thats in good shape. Need something to drive so I can tear into my jeep anyways. I'm sure if I get the Auto X itch I will find a way to get a WRX. NOt in the cards right now. Look at an auto X field and see how many people run civics. Now go do some school work like a good boy!
[/QUOTE]
Old August 26th, 2010, 19:46
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Wheel your Jeep!!!!! Its a $900 car thats in good shape. Need something to drive so I can tear into my jeep anyways. I'm sure if I get the Auto X itch I will find a way to get a WRX. NOt in the cards right now. Look at an auto X field and see how many people run civics. Now go do some school work like a good boy!
Go look how many people wheelin are using blocks to lift, it's called being cheap and the same applies for the number of civics. The vast majority of cars being cheap civics doesn't mean they are some how the best car to auto X with, just means they are the most accessible.

Nothing against civics, just people seem to make them out to be something they are not. It's like with anything else, sure it will get the job done but the other people out there with an actual investment will look at you as if you were wheelin with blocks.
Old August 26th, 2010, 20:19
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannadie View Post
Go look how many people wheelin are using blocks to lift, it's called being cheap and the same applies for the number of civics. The vast majority of cars being cheap civics doesn't mean they are some how the best car to auto X with, just means they are the most accessible.

Nothing against civics, just people seem to make them out to be something they are not. It's like with anything else, sure it will get the job done but the other people out there with an actual investment will look at you as if you were wheelin with blocks.
I'm not being cheap its just a gas sipper. Not gonna pick up a car payment if I don't have to. From what I hear most guys are just out there for fun at my local auto x track. Yeah there are gonna be some ricers out there. I'm not gonna be one of them. I'm doing it for fun. I do have some decent upgrades planned for it. No fart can on my car! If it becomes something bigger its WRX time. I'm gonna be out there with an auto so its not gonna be competitive in a civic. At least an auto will hold boost pretty well in the WRX. THE CIVIC IS GONNA BE A TURD!!! Plus I'm just busting Ian's balls! FWIW the 89-91 Si civics are a strong competitor in the street touring class, right there with the miata.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by FlexdXJ; August 26th, 2010 at 20:22.
Old August 26th, 2010, 20:33
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
I'm not being cheap its just a gas sipper. Not gonna pick up a car payment if I don't have to. From what I hear most guys are just out there for fun at my local auto x track. Yeah there are gonna be some ricers out there. I'm not gonna be one of them. I'm doing it for fun. I do have some decent upgrades planned for it. No fart can on my car! If it becomes something bigger its WRX time. I'm gonna be out there with an auto so its not gonna be competitive in a civic. At least an auto will hold boost pretty well in the WRX. THE CIVIC IS GONNA BE A TURD!!! Plus I'm just busting Ian's balls! FWIW the 89-91 Si civics are a strong competitor in the street touring class, right there with the miata.
I hear ya and nothing negative directed towards you. I am just commenting on some peoples attitude and reasoning for having a civic. As you said the a lot of people are out there are in civics. I just want to bring up the cause for the high number of civics isn't necessarily because they are a great platform. It's more because of the cost factor involved with setting up a civic on the cheap.

I would love to auto X my 87 supra but the thing is a serious pig and would suck on a tight course. I would also be in such a high weight class I would be up against corvettes/vipers and the such where I would stand no chance ha.
Old August 26th, 2010, 20:40
NAXJA Forum User

That Civic in the background is one of two at regionals that year- they had been trading the #1 spot for a few years. They're basically go-carts in Street Prep trim (some IT prepped road racers were also in the same class- they were almost as hopelessly outclassed as my RX), and they did very well. It's not just because they're cheap.
Old August 27th, 2010, 11:26
BACON!

thats how i used to drive my 98 neon

that thing didn't have a chance with me
I'd rather lick guacamole off hobags balls .
Old August 28th, 2010, 16:59
NAXJA Forum User

Here is my AutoX turd:

[/QUOTE]
Old August 28th, 2010, 19:34
NAXJA Forum User

I'd love to try it just once with my XJ, just for the hell of it!
Old August 28th, 2010, 19:45
NAXJA Forum User

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oNr6FXiROo