• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question on wiring a new electric fan

jeepcherokee95

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched (in the past) and went by GO-Jeeps write up but am having a problem with power.

I used his writeup here:

Now for the wiring. The fan came with a wiring harness so that made things simpler. You must use a relay with the extra fan even though the stock one already has one. They draw a lot of current to start the motor and the stock relay and wire is not up to the job. So the wires on the relay are the usual setup. Pin 30 is power straight from the battery with an inline 30 amp fuse. Pin 85 is run to the body for ground and the fan motor. Pin 86 connects to the power at the stock fan ( green wire on mine ). Pin 87 goes to the fan motor but remember if you have converted from a pusher fan, it will go to the negative wire on the fan. Now the stock 11" fan is controlled by the ECU. It uses the temperature sensor in the thermostat housing to switch on the fan when it reaches 105*C ( 220*F ) and switch it off when it reaches 95*C ( 200*F ). It will also turn on when the air conditioner clutch engages. Some wire in a switch to turn on the fans manually but don't see the point as it will turn on itself a couple of degrees above normal operating temperature anyway. If you do want to do it then on my 95 it was a blue with pink stripe wire going into the first relay in the fuse box. Now you have to supply a negative supply to activate the fans to this wire in the 91+ Jeeps and not 12volts.

(But I am not triggering the new fan. I am wondering if I need to run a wire from the AUX fan fuse to the relay and if so what terminal?)

It would seem that you could just run a wire to the positive terminal on the battery and the other to the wire on the ECU temp sensor since it is a ground or completes a circuit and this would solve the problem.:repair:

Thoughts, Comments, Help is appreciated!

Thanks,

JC95

P.S.

If Go-Jeep deems it worthy, there may be a Zirgo fan write up on his site to go along with his dual fan write up. Stay Tuned!:paperwork

Sorry if I was unclear...this is the Main fan - a 16" Zirgo.

Finally got a reply from Marcus (go jeep) on my question but since it was very early AM in his part of the world when I posted I thought I would try and get an answer here too.

Thanks for the reply though.

Here was his answer:

The wire from the positive plug of the standard aux fan is what you run to the new fan relay to trigger it. This will then turn on with the ecu and a/c.

thanks agin Marcus!

JC95

Just to be redundant. On a 4 prong relay, you only need 3 prongs if wanting the ecu to control the fan. prong #30 goes to (+) battery with a 30 amp fusible link wire, #87 should go to the (+) wire of the fan (usually white, you can just splice it in so you don't have to cut any of the factory wires), and prong #85 goes to (-) battery terminal or frame ground. The ecu will control the fan.

Back