• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

taking apart an AX-15

hadAjeep

NAXJA Forum User
my friend with a 2wd ax-15, bought a used 4wd ax-15 so he could use the rear part of the trans and the mainshaft. We're having trouble getting this thing apart. Is there a manual anywhere on the net? or do you guys have some advice? This is all that stands in the way of him having his MJ 4wd. Thanks.

Any reason not to just use the 4wd trans as is? There are some steps listed in the factory manual that you do not need to do, and in fact lead to more difficulty in assembly. Namely removing all the detents for the shift forks. Still, there are a lot of steps to do what you want to do. All the synchros except for 5th are on the mainshaft and require disassembly of the mainshaft to change, so if they are bad on the 4wd box, you will have to do that anyway. This requires a press and some patience if you haven't done it. I can probably answer any other questions if you have any.

Brian

the 4wd trans is shot. the oil was FULL of brass. the 2wd trans has 35,000 miles on it. he thought it would be easy to just swap the mainshafts and the rear housing.
I found a site with pic's and he just got it apart. The syncro's are wasted like we thought.

Back