• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newer dana 30 shafts in older dana 30?

lostcreek21

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to upgrade my dana 30 by putting in the newer shafts with the 297 joints. I didn't know if they are the same length as what I have in right now. I have an 87 cherokee. Thanks

lostcreek21 said:
I'm looking to upgrade my dana 30 by putting in the newer shafts with the 297 joints. I didn't know if they are the same length as what I have in right now. I have an 87 cherokee. Thanks
If you got a disco front axle you will have to deal with the seals and so on, but otherwise then that if it's a non-disco you'll be fine.

Ok it's a non-disco. I have the NP 242 t-case. Where do you think I could find the axle shafts from a newer cherokee and what years should I looking for? I think I heard it was 96+ and newer but I never really knew.

lostcreek21 said:
Ok it's a non-disco. I have the NP 242 t-case. Where do you think I could find the axle shafts from a newer cherokee and what years should I looking for? I think I heard it was 96+ and newer but I never really knew.
I don't remember what year has guaranteed 297, but any year with teh ABS should have the 297 shafts.

297 started sometime in 95, 96 would be a good bet. ABS XJs got 297 joints before though. any aftermarket shaft assy. (from Quadratec or 4wd.com) would be 297 as well.

you can always just take a tape measurer with you to the pick and pull, the 297's are slightly larger.

I have an '88 without ABS. I've run shafts from an '89 with ABS (broke those) and a '96 without ABS (are currently holding up). I just picked up some from a '91 with ABS as trail spares. They are all the same length. They are all interchangeable. THE only difference is the hubs. The unit bearing hubs from the '96 were to large in diameter and my rotors wouldn't fit over them. I don't know what years they began changing the diameter, but if you're just looking for axles, this shouldn't be a concern.

whatever you do, swap ONLY the shafts.

whatever bearing hubs are on them, leave them be.

92+ w/ ABS (89-91 ABS models still used 260s), anything 96+

not 100% sure on this, but I believe all ZJ shafts are 297 u-joints (never saw one that wasn't)

CheapXJ said:
(89-91 ABS models still used 260s)

That's incorrect.

The shafts from the '89 with ABS that I ran had 297-X's and the shafts I just bought for trail spares were from a '91 with ABS and have the 297's. I'm positive on this because I swapped out the 297's with 760-X's. I'm almost positive that all XJ's with ABS, regardless of year, had the 297-X u-joints. Measure across the top of the u-joint cap. 297's are right around 1 3/16" across and the 260's are 1 1/16" across. I'll post some pics for further clarification.

upair.jpg

The top set is from a '91 with ABS, and the bottom is from an '89 with ABS (I knocked off the tone ring). The bottom u-joint is a now destroyed 760-X.

umea.jpg

They both measure 1 3/16" across. I don't have any 260's kicking around to measure, but I know for sure that it is right around 1/16" across.

I swapped my front axle from an '86 2.8 with a 242 (had 4:11's), it's a non-disco housing. I then put TJ shafts into it, they have 760 u-joints which are stronger then the 297's. Just run the seals for your particular axle and all will be good. I also run the zerked end-of-axletube seals from Drivetrain Direct.

Back