• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj classic upgrade to limited lether seats??????

jeepsycophant

NAXJA Forum User
anyone no how hard it would be to upgrade to limited lether electric seats? as far as wiring and wether or not the brackets fit corectly without drilling?

thnx Matt

Since you mentioned it's a Classic model, that tells me it's 96 or newer. You can put seats in from any XJ 95 and newer and they are a direct bolt in.
The year and options on your Classic and the year of XJ you get the seats from will determine whether or not you have the proper electrical connection pre-installed. Even if you don't have the correct wiring it would be very easy to just run your own.
I installed 99 XJ heated power leather seats into my 97 and it was a piece of cake.

JEEPZZ,

Need more info about your heated/power seat swap. I am thinking about picking up a complete set of heated/power leather seats from an 01 Limited to go in my 00 Sport. The package comes with the heated seat switches but unknown if any wiring harnesses are included (if even needed). Can you please give me some more info on what I need to do to get them to work? I read somewhere about power seat and heated seat modules, relays etc etc. Kinda scared me but then I see you said it was a piece of cake.

Thanks a lot for any help,
JT

P.S. I just checked all under my 00 XJ seats (both driver and pass) and saw no empty harnesses whatsoever. I saw the cut in the carpet where somethiung could come out but felt around and no sign of wiring anywhere. My car does have heated mirrors and power windows.

JTS97Z28 said:
P.S. I just checked all under my 00 XJ seats (both driver and pass) and saw no empty harnesses whatsoever. I saw the cut in the carpet where somethiung could come out but felt around and no sign of wiring anywhere. My car does have heated mirrors and power windows.

The wiring is there. It's under the passenger seat up against the support that runs acrost the floor board where the front of the seat mount bolts to. It's just the power wires though, you'll need to grab the harness that runs from the pass to the driver side to be plug and play. When I did mine I got seats from a 98 country so I didn't have the heated circiut to deal with. There-for I can't say from experance on how that part is handled,(I think there is relays involved) but as far as the power all your need is to run the power from the factory plug under the passenger seat to the drivers side install the fuse, and good to go. You'll be happy to know that the power seats go back about an inch farther that the nonpower. My XJ now has more leg room than my ex's ZJ go figure.

EDIT: By the way they are grounded to the body. Both wires on the plugg are power one wire for the seat moters one for the heat.

Thanks Scooby I looked again and sure enough just behind the front raised floor support on passenger side is a small harness. Now my question is how do I use that to power both seats and why isnt there one on both sides? Any help is greatly appreciated.

James

Got your PM. Scooby is pretty much dead on with his description.
The heated leather seats you are purchasing have power adjustments for both seat bases. Only the heated leather have the power motors in the passenger seat, all other non-heated leather seats (97-01) are only powered on the driver side & for this reason the 97-98 XJ's have the (drivers) power seat wiring coming from underneath the rear seat on the drivers side. 99 was the first year the heated seats were offered which were dual powered so the wiring for the seats on 99-01 XJ's comes in from the passenger side. It's located where Scooby described it. You'll need to remove the passenger seat and pull up the carpeting along the inside edge of the door sill and then you'll see the open connector. ONLY 99-01 XJ'S WITH THE POWER OPTIONS (WINDOWS & LOCKS) WILL HAVE THIS CONNECTOR.
Since my XJ was a 97 I had to extend the wiring from the drivers side rear corner over to the passenger ddor sill.
The wiring harness that will come with the seats will connect from the passenger door sill pigtail over to both seat and to the heater switches in the center floor console. The heater switch bezel will just snap in place of the astray in your 99-01 XJ (97-98 XJ's console require modification to fit the bezel & switches). All of the wiring is self inclusive within the wiring harness, it's all plug and play. I couldn't believe how easy Jeep made it to do this upgrade! :D

If you have any other Q's let me know.

Last edited:
Well I talked to the place that I am buying the seats from and I found out that no wiring is coming with the seats. So my question now is what exactly do I have to do to get them to work? Like I said I did find the harness under my passenger seat and like you said apparently that has two power leads one for the seats and one for the heated seat option.

So I have the heated seat switch that mounts on the center console, there would obviously be a harness connecting from that which would go where?

I also assume there will be a connector coming out of each seat, where do these go and how does the single connector under my carpet attach to all this?

Thanks again for all the help but since these seats dont come with any harnesses I have to make my own.

Thanks

EDIT: just pulled my center console and there is no wiring going to where the heated seat switch would be. Only empty plug seems to be the one under the passenger seat.

Last edited:
Yeah, like I was saying the only place 'everything' plugs in is on the passenger side door sill. (no existing wiring under the console)
If you're going to try and build your own harness, you'll want to take a look at the Factory Service Manual for a wiring schematic. I can't read wiring to save my life so all I can offer you is... good luck. There are a lot of wires under there, more than you'd think since they condense down to just two.

Tell the junkyard that the seats and switches are worthless without the wiring harness and I'm sure they make an effort to go pull it for you or even better yet, pull it from the Jeep yourself.

Back