• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Communications Radio Questions

athenian71

NAXJA Forum User
I have been involved with radio communications every since I was 11 years old. I am now 53,so there isnt much that hasnt got past me.I currently hold an amateur radio license , WD9ICU, (Advanced Class) .If you have any radio communication questions I will do my best to answer them.

well thanks, i guess ill take advantage of your post and ask a question im too lazy to search for and that isnt too new thread worthy...

just got a cb and antenna, how do i use an swr meter? I have an adjustable tip firestik and i can adjust the antenna, but what value on the meter should the antenna be at?

basically im asking how to use an swr meter...

thanks

If you have an swr meter it must be installed between the antenna and the radio. It may say xmit input,xmit output. You should have a short piece of coax cable(rg58 or rg8) leading from the back of the radio to the swr meter....to the input side of the swr meter.The antenna will connect to the output side of the swr meter. Not knowing what type of swr meter you have,all I can tell you at this point is that you must adjust your antenna for the lowest swr. 1.5 is good but 1.1 is the best. If your swr is 2.0 or 3.0 or above ,you will not be operating your radio at its optimum efficieny and you will not only recieve poorly ,but your radio will fry the final stage in the transmitter section.... Am I answering your question ?

Also ,you should see a forward and reflected power switch on the front of the meter. Key the radio with the switch in the forward position,there should be another knob to turn so you can adjust the needle on the meter.Usually ,you adjust the needle on the meter (while holding down mic button)all the way to the edge of the scale on the meter. Then while stile holding down the mic button switch the meter to reflected mode. This will give you the swr(standing wave reflected) of your antenna. Usually trial and error by moving your antenna adjusments up or down by 1/8 inch increments will result in a satisfactory swr. If not you may need to look at your installation.

athenian71 said:
I have been involved with radio communications every since I was 11 years old. I am now 53,so there isnt much that hasnt got past me.I currently hold an amateur radio license , WD9ICU, (Advanced Class) .If you have any radio communication questions I will do my best to answer them.

:worship:

Back