• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion Squeal, I need the well versed on this one.

the shop said they couldn't find anything that would have been an issue. the setup looked very good according to them. I threw the full shafts back in tonight and will swing by the shop tomorrow so they can see what noise is being made.

Can't tell much from those pics. But in the first one, the gear pattern looks horrible.

Like I said I believed to be 1mm. They believe it's fine and the play I thought I was experiencing was pinion to ring contact. Ok fine.......

NOW I have the shafts back in, And it's squeaking again!!!!!!
I jacked the driver tire up and spun the wheel. It's 110% from the pinion. As to what's causing it idk.

Back to the shop

Last edited:
Well as I squeak up to park a wide eyed mechanics perked up.
Based on the conversation that followed, it seemed like they believed there was no noise until I rolled up lol.

after jacking the front end up again and having them rotate the tires we've narrowed down the squeak to what we believe is the pinion seal. Again they reiterated that the gear setup was picture perfect and for whatever reason the seal is squeaking. They hit it with some spray-on silicone suggested that the noise will return and if it's something that I don't want to keep lubricating with silicone than I should probably just replace the seal.

I would think it a bit odd for an oil Slinger not to get a CO lubricated though I suppose it's possible being that high up if it is the outer side of the seal, just in case I plan to fill the hell out of the diff if that's not any kind of a problem, just so it's totally pouring out of the fill hole before I seal it.

I think it’s your double Cardon joint on the rear DS making the noise. Try pulling the rear shaft and taking to DL shop to have the spin it.

They probably didn't grease the sealing surface of the yoke before install. Pull the yoke off. Grease on the outside silicone on the splines and reinstall. Seen it happen before

Never seen one squeal, leak yes because they are constantly lubricated by the ring gear!

front drive shaft is off, the rear shaft is stock and not making any noise.

its coming from the pinion seal for whatever reason...

I still think it’s your DS. Pull the rear DS plug the tail shaft so you don’t loose fluid from the TC then put you front DS in and put in 4WD then drive it around and see if the noise is gone. Let me get this straight you have a stock rear DS and do not have a SYE or H&T.

Did not see your last post looks like you figured it out. I would replace that seal sounds like maybe the metal band in it is bent or broken and is rubbing on your Yoke possibly scaring it.

Back