• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail closures and road damage.

Mike....you better stay on top of this.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48093

I'm going down next week with some friends and it looks like there is a possibility of a lot of roads in Canyonlands being closed.

I wonder about the other trails around the Moab area.

You gotta be logged in to view that. Below was added to the trail list/registration info.

"Please note that we are in contact with both the BLM and Park Service. The Elephant Hill trail is estimated to be open by the time we are scheduled to run it. All of the other trails around Moab hopefully will be as well when we are there too."

Obviously if your going to go down it would be nice to have first hand information.

The plan is to be flexible with regard to current trail conditions but either way I can say that we all will have a good time.

The trail I think would be the worst is Kane Creek. To be honest the trails needed some rework because most were practically paved, it's about time mother nature made things interesting. :D

minbottom.jpg

This is the switchbacks going into Mineral Bottom. They used to drive buses down here to drop off rafters.

If other roads were effected as bad as this it's a little worse than just reworking some stacked rocks.

I'm guessing in the next couple of weeks we will hear from others who have been on the other trails around town to see if any of them have been tore apart this bad.

I've seen all this about a week ago. Good thing we don't have Mineral Bottom or any part of Shafer/White Rim on our run list. Looking forward to hearing firsthand info on the trails.

I'm really getting excited about going to Moab again. Everyone will have such a great time. One time I went we had rain and I can tell you the waterfalls coming off the slickrock all around were an awesome sight. There will be some great wheeling, meeting up with old friends, and the making of new ones.

Ahh... Fall Fling of 06. Yes that was by far my most memorable trip to Moab.

I know there was a lot of disappointed people. Guys who came from across the country and all it did was rain all week. I don't think a lot of them realized how lucky they were. Moab's annual rain fall is somewhere around nine inches. That week they had six inches....incredible.

As Mike posted,,, rain can make for some nice photo ops.
If it decides to rain while I am there; there are plenty of trails to explore that aren't affected.
For me going to Moab is always an adventure.
Looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones.

Charles

This just in from the BLM office in Moab. I'd certainly be interested in looking over Kane Creek though.

" To the best of my knowledge the trails that are listed are in good condition. Elephant Hill. Mineral Bottom, portions of the White Rim and the Onion Creek road are the only routes that have received significant damage."

According to the ranger I talked to several days ago, the switchbacks going down to Mineral Bottom is the only part of the White Rim/Shafer trail impacted anywhere near the extent shown in the above pic, and the trail is open "from the east". I am planning to do the White Rim on the 10th and 11th. The damage to EH is to the west of EH itself, presumably along a sandy alluvial stretch of the trail.

According to the ranger I talked to several days ago, the switchbacks going down to Mineral Bottom is the only part of the White Rim/Shafer trail impacted anywhere near the extent shown in the above pic, and the trail is open "from the east". I am planning to do the White Rim on the 10th and 11th. The damage to EH is to the west of EH itself, presumably along a sandy alluvial stretch of the trail.

You do realize that it is 100 miles from end to end. If you do the whole trail you will have to drive all 100 miles of dirt and then turn around and retrace your route. There isn't another way out on the west side.

Did they tell you where the damage was on Elephant hill?

No she didn't have specific information on damaged areas of the trail. I was trying to think about where the damage would be based on running it this past Easter Safari. I just thought about that one spot where there is a crack opening up, that would be interesting. :)

You do realize that it is 100 miles from end to end. If you do the whole trail you will have to drive all 100 miles of dirt and then turn around and retrace your route. There isn't another way out on the west side.

I'm just gonna go down there without a set plan..I'll just decide how far to go and what stops to make at the time...it will prob have a lot to do with what campground I end up getting permited for.

No she didn't have specific information on damaged areas of the trail. I was trying to think about where the damage would be based on running it this past Easter Safari. I just thought about that one spot where there is a crack opening up, that would be interesting. :)

I'm betting it was the area between Devils kitchen and the Silver stairs. That area that is kind of soft and sandy and while not deep kind of forums it's own little canyon.

I have no doubt the easier ones to repair will be fixed first. I'll keep watching and we can adjust as needed so everyone has a great time.

No didn't make it. Radiator blew up and I don't have the money to fix it.

I did however hear that Elephant Hill is back open.

Bad news, sorry to hear about the radiator Ryan.

Good news about Elephant hill though, thanks.

Bad news, sorry to hear about the radiator Ryan.

Good news about Elephant hill though, thanks.

copied from another site

Here is the latest info I found about the areas that were hit hard this past monsoon season. It looks like they are not taking any reservations for the White Rim trail for 2011 until they get some repairs done.

http://www.travelheadlines.utah.com/...nds.html#links

"Thursday, September 09, 2010

Mineral Bottom Road in Canyonlands Closed Indefinitely

The Mineral Bottom Road is part of the White Rim loop and provides access to the Green River in Canyonlands National Park near Moab. The road has been closed indefinitely because part of it was washed out by recent flooding. Other roads are also closed.

Canyonlands NP provided the details below.

Severe storms close many roads

Two NPS rangers lend some scale to the washouts along the Mineral Bottom Road switchbacks. This portion of the road will be closed indefinitely.

Updated: September 8, 2010

On August 19th, severe storms caused flash flooding and rock falls that blocked or washed away roads throughout the Canyonlands area. One of the more dramatic washouts occurred on the Mineral Bottom Road switchbacks (see photo), where significant portions of the road were obliterated. This damage will affect all groups traveling the White Rim Road or planning river trips that launch or take-out at Mineral Bottom.

CURRENT CONDITIONS

Island in the Sky District - White Rim Road

Due to the total failure of the switchbacks on the Mineral Bottom Road, it is currently impossible to complete the White Rim as a loop. The Shafer Trail and Potash roads are open; however the White Rim Road is currently closed to motor vehicles just beyond Potato Bottom. Hardscrabble, Labyrinth and Taylor campsites are not accessible by motor vehicle.

There are currently no estimates for when the Mineral Bottom Road switchbacks will be repaired; however, it will likely be several months. We have temporarily suspended making reservations for the White Rim for calendar year 2011.

Anyone with reservations for White Rim permits during fall 2010 should contact the backcountry reservation office to make arrangements:

Phone: (435) 259-4351
Fax: (435) 259-4285
Send an email...

Green River - Mineral Bottom

It is not possible to access the Green River via the Mineral Bottom Road. Other launches are available upstream of the Canyonlands National Park boundary. Please contact the Bureau of Land Management, river outfitters or the Canyonlands Reservation Office for more information.

Needles District

Many four-wheel-drive roads are closed, including Horse Canyon/Salt Creek and Lavender Canyon. Elephant Hill has been repaired and is now open (as of 9/4/2010)

Maze District

The roads from Utah Highway 24 to Hans Flat or Horseshoe Canyon are very rough, but passable to two-wheel-drive vehicles. The road from Green River to Horseshoe Canyon is being worked on and is not advised for travel. All other roads are open.

Planning a visit to the backcountry?
If you are planning a trip to the park that involves backcountry travel by vehicle, please contact district visitor centers for the most up-to-date conditions:

Island in the Sky District Visitor Center: (435) 259-4712
Needles District Visitor Center: (435) 259-4711
Maze District Ranger Station: (435) 259-2652"

Last edited:
Cliff notes, while informative what in this applies to us????

copied from another site

Here is the latest info I found about the areas that were hit hard this past monsoon season. It looks like they are not taking any reservations for the White Rim trail for 2011 until they get some repairs done.

http://www.travelheadlines.utah.com/...nds.html#links

"Thursday, September 09, 2010

Mineral Bottom Road in Canyonlands Closed Indefinitely

The Mineral Bottom Road is part of the White Rim loop and provides access to the Green River in Canyonlands National Park near Moab. The road has been closed indefinitely because part of it was washed out by recent flooding. Other roads are also closed.

Canyonlands NP provided the details below.

Severe storms close many roads

Two NPS rangers lend some scale to the washouts along the Mineral Bottom Road switchbacks. This portion of the road will be closed indefinitely.

Updated: September 8, 2010

On August 19th, severe storms caused flash flooding and rock falls that blocked or washed away roads throughout the Canyonlands area. One of the more dramatic washouts occurred on the Mineral Bottom Road switchbacks (see photo), where significant portions of the road were obliterated. This damage will affect all groups traveling the White Rim Road or planning river trips that launch or take-out at Mineral Bottom.

CURRENT CONDITIONS

Island in the Sky District - White Rim Road

Due to the total failure of the switchbacks on the Mineral Bottom Road, it is currently impossible to complete the White Rim as a loop. The Shafer Trail and Potash roads are open; however the White Rim Road is currently closed to motor vehicles just beyond Potato Bottom. Hardscrabble, Labyrinth and Taylor campsites are not accessible by motor vehicle.

There are currently no estimates for when the Mineral Bottom Road switchbacks will be repaired; however, it will likely be several months. We have temporarily suspended making reservations for the White Rim for calendar year 2011.

Anyone with reservations for White Rim permits during fall 2010 should contact the backcountry reservation office to make arrangements:

Phone: (435) 259-4351
Fax: (435) 259-4285
Send an email...

Green River - Mineral Bottom

It is not possible to access the Green River via the Mineral Bottom Road. Other launches are available upstream of the Canyonlands National Park boundary. Please contact the Bureau of Land Management, river outfitters or the Canyonlands Reservation Office for more information.

Needles District

Many four-wheel-drive roads are closed, including Horse Canyon/Salt Creek and Lavender Canyon. Elephant Hill has been repaired and is now open (as of 9/4/2010)

Maze District

The roads from Utah Highway 24 to Hans Flat or Horseshoe Canyon are very rough, but passable to two-wheel-drive vehicles. The road from Green River to Horseshoe Canyon is being worked on and is not advised for travel. All other roads are open.

Planning a visit to the backcountry?
If you are planning a trip to the park that involves backcountry travel by vehicle, please contact district visitor centers for the most up-to-date conditions:

Island in the Sky District Visitor Center: (435) 259-4712
Needles District Visitor Center: (435) 259-4711
Maze District Ranger Station: (435) 259-2652"

Back