NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old August 31st, 2019, 13:52
NAXJA Member

Re: Joel's multipurpose XJ build (rocks/boulevard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frijolee View Post
Jeep has a leaking power steering problem that’s been kicking my ass so thought I’d post up about it.

99% sure I traced it to a failed o-ring between the reservoir and the PS pump. Tracked down the size online (3mm wide, 14 mm ID) and ordered some viton parts from McMaster (P/N 9263K722). Triple checked fluid compatibility so that’s fine.

WTF man. I’m serious ready to just replace the whole damn thing but it’s annoys me not to be able to solve a simple problem. Any ideas appreciated…

-Joel
Hurry up & fix it.....I got the same problem now for a few years...but it only leaks maybe a baseball sized spot over a few days.

(oh yeah, and tell us how you fixed it too....)
Old September 2nd, 2019, 02:17
NAXJA Forum User

Joel, I must say this thread has kept my nights working at a local hospital great. I knew when you started this 7 years ago with, "I'm an engineer" it was going to be a very meticulous thread. I have enjoyed your adventures from building the Jeep to moving to Hawaii. Like other have said, forums are where its at with knowledge and content. More civilized then social media platforms. Bravo on the build and look forward to your progress. Cheers from Denver, Josh.
Old September 9th, 2019, 14:00
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR3711 View Post
Joel, I must say this thread has kept my nights working at a local hospital great. I knew when you started this 7 years ago with, "I'm an engineer" it was going to be a very meticulous thread. I have enjoyed your adventures from building the Jeep to moving to Hawaii. Like other have said, forums are where its at with knowledge and content. More civilized then social media platforms. Bravo on the build and look forward to your progress. Cheers from Denver, Josh.
F-me. 7 years already? Time flies when you're on the run.

's been good. Really had a wonderful time every time I've hung out with folks (SoCal fest's etc) and I've learned a ton. I still can't help trying some weird stuff every now and then, which hopefully keeps this thread interested.

Completely agree re: forums superiority vs. social media, not just being civil, but the ability to search what others have done is invaluable... Actually one of the few things that I don't like about is not being allowed to edit posts when I find errors after the fact. It's just dumb. None of the other forums I'm on do this...

Speaking of Hawaii there's news:

I almost don't want to jinx it least the deal fall apart, but we are in escrow to buy a home that'll have us end up with a workshop on a few acres. We're through home inspection and only little stuff found there, so that's the first big thumbs up. If the appraisal comes in we should be in good shape.

For what it's worth, here's the garage & shop. Current owner's stuff (he's a wood worker).

The office just upgraded to LED light fixtures and they offered up the old T8 versions to employees so I brought home a few.

Best part of the house is a huge wrap around porch.

Backyard's not half bad either.

Massive garden that hopefully is cool without taking over my life... I think it has 17 kinds of fruit? I'm just stoked that it has both avocados and cilantro. Guacamole for days!!!

Anyone wants to check out the Big Island I'm sure we're game to host.
-Joel
Old September 9th, 2019, 14:19
Stranger

Sweet!!

I hope that works out for you.

We visited the big island back in the days before children. I remember an avocado that was about the size of a cantaloupe. If you have those then you are going to need a big cilantro patch and jumbo bags of tortilla chips.

Baby it's cold outside.
Old September 10th, 2019, 08:21
Degenerate Jeeper

Wow! Great looking house! I’ll defer my congratulations until escrow closes. But ... wow!

BTW: you can edit your posts as of about a year ago.
Old September 10th, 2019, 12:30
Stranger

I think you have to be red letter in order to edit your posts.

Baby it's cold outside.
Old September 10th, 2019, 14:35
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
F-me. 7 years already? Time flies when you're on the run.

's been good. Really had a wonderful time every time I've hung out with folks (SoCal fest's etc) and I've learned a ton. I still can't help trying some weird stuff every now and then, which hopefully keeps this thread interested.

Completely agree re: forums superiority vs. social media, not just being civil, but the ability to search what others have done is invaluable... Actually one of the few things that I don't like about is not being allowed to edit posts when I find errors after the fact. It's just dumb. None of the other forums I'm on do this...

Speaking of Hawaii there's news:

I almost don't want to jinx it least the deal fall apart, but we are in escrow to buy a home that'll have us end up with a workshop on a few acres. We're through home inspection and only little stuff found there, so that's the first big thumbs up. If the appraisal comes in we should be in good shape.

For what it's worth, here's the garage & shop. Current owner's stuff (he's a wood worker).

The office just upgraded to LED light fixtures and they offered up the old T8 versions to employees so I brought home a few.

Best part of the house is a huge wrap around porch.

Backyard's not half bad either.

Massive garden that hopefully is cool without taking over my life... I think it has 17 kinds of fruit? I'm just stoked that it has both avocados and cilantro. Guacamole for days!!!

Anyone wants to check out the Big Island I'm sure we're game to host.
-Joel
At first I wondered how many gazillions they were paying you to work there...

Then I looked up real estate on the big island and it's not too different than SoCal... Nice score sir!
Old September 11th, 2019, 12:19
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
I think you have to be red letter in order to edit your posts.
Interesting... I don't have much ability to hook up and wheel with folks these days so I let mine expire a while back. I might need to look into that again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood View Post
At first I wondered how many gazillions they were paying you to work there...

Then I looked up real estate on the big island and it's not too different than SoCal... Nice score sir!
It's not Oahu that's for sure. This house is going to be about 25% more than we sold our SoCal house for. That said, we're still putting everything we got from that one back into this and I still expect to be eating ramen for a few years. It's a stretch but also a heck of an upgrade and looks like a good life.

I'll just have to move somewhere else when we retire someday because this just became the retirement fund.

Working on a shop layout if anyone has comments/suggestions...

Old September 11th, 2019, 13:32
NAXJA Member

Yeah, make a full sized table on wheels...never know when ya may need it.

I made one, and it fits perfectly under the bench in the 1st pic (think nesting tables). It has held a TF727 trans/np203/np205 setup with no problem....

I use it all the time when I have to work outside the garage on something.

Old September 11th, 2019, 15:11
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Got any more detail on that? I was under the impression we mostly cared about service conditions and durometer... I donít have nitrile in the right size at the moment, but it's probably worth a try.
Most of my personal experience comes from generic viton o-rings. Basically a plastic ring as far as I was concerned at the time and you could see the parting line of the mold. Nitrile o-rings are often times used for their grip and flexibility while the "Viton" o-rings I've dealt with wouldn't work nearly the same in those applications. Open grain/cell vs closed grain/cell is the best I can describe my experience with Viton. It's been a while and "Viton" may not be.

More recently, when dealing with an issue on one of our products, I made a comment along the lines of "if we can't fix the heat issue, I guess we'll have to go to Viton seals". The reply was emphatically "You don't want to do that! You think you have leak issues now?" This was the technical expert from a leading integrator of hydraulic components. I trust his word over my own experience and anything I'll find online. Cheap to try at least.
Old September 11th, 2019, 15:15
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRCM View Post
Yeah, make a full sized table on wheels...never know when ya may need it.

I made one, and it fits perfectly under the bench in the 1st pic (think nesting tables). It has held a TF727 trans/np203/np205 setup with no problem....
That's pretty trick... I have the casters from my HF tool boxes lying around so that wouldn't be too bad to make a stout rolling work surface. I also have a leftover chunk of butcher block that measures 25 by 26.5" (more of of a utility cart kinda size but I could tuck it under my weld bench this way).

I was thinking I might use that piece of butcher block for a base on my mitre saw but the benefit of the roving cart/table version is probably higher. I can make a basic steel base for the saw. Either way I want to mount the saw on something as it lives on my weld table now and you have to move it to use it. I'm planning to use the deck of the mag brake next to it as a material extension when I chop stuff.
Old September 11th, 2019, 16:13
NAXJA Member

Quote:
That's pretty trick... I have the casters from my HF tool boxes lying around so that wouldn't be too bad to make a stout rolling work surface. I also have a leftover chunk of butcher block that measures 25 by 26.5" (more of of a utility cart kinda size but I could tuck it under my weld bench this way).

I was thinking I might use that piece of butcher block for a base on my mitre saw but the benefit of the roving cart/table version is probably higher. I can make a basic steel base for the saw. Either way I want to mount the saw on something as it lives on my weld table now and you have to move it to use it. I'm planning to use the deck of the mag brake next to it as a material extension when I chop stuff.

I didn't mention before, but there's not a lot of wasted space either, as you can see the lower shelf on the table, and when nested, the table top is 1/2" below the skirt on the bench....so it's a tight fit.

Actually surprises most people when I pull it out.....but it is very handy.
Old September 11th, 2019, 20:27
Stranger

Quote:
Interesting... I don't have much ability to hook up and wheel with folks these days so I let mine expire a while back. I might need to look into that again.
David Bricker is moving over there too, though I don't recall which island. But I think he is still leaving his Jeep in Death Valley.

Nonetheless, that still makes a minimum of two members in that state.

You guys will have to pick a time and place for a M&G. Give the rest of us a good excuse to come visit.

Baby it's cold outside.
Old September 11th, 2019, 21:49
NAXJA Forum User

Sister lives on the Big Island, Waimea. I visit every 2-3 years. I really like your build thread. I’ve got two daughters, too, and plan to carry over some of your ideas to the next phase of my XJ build.