NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old December 28th, 2009, 22:09
NAXJA Forum User

Currie Correctlynk Steering Mod

I'm trying to develope a plan for my steering mods. I am going with a 5" lift and have been looking at the Currie Correctlynk system. My question is if any one has modified it for high steer using one of the available conversion kits?

Am I totally out in left field on this? I am open to other suggestions.

FNF
Old December 28th, 2009, 22:56
NAXJA Member

Re: Currie Correctlynk Steering Mod

I don't think you can flip the passenger side of the Currie steering, it's a cast unit.
You can use the GoFerIt flip on the drivers side and move that end above the knuckle.
Old December 28th, 2009, 23:45
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_weirdo View Post
I don't think you can flip the passenger side of the Currie steering, it's a cast unit.
You can use the GoFerIt flip on the drivers side and move that end above the knuckle.
X2,no can do!
Old December 29th, 2009, 10:25
NAXJA Forum User

Someone on here did it. I believe he cut the TRE off the currie drag link, then drilled and tapped a hole to put another adjustable TRE in. This would let you run OTK on both sides and replace the passenger side TRE if necessary.
Old December 29th, 2009, 10:38
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned View Post
Someone on here did it. I believe he cut the TRE off the currie drag link, then drilled and tapped a hole to put another adjustable TRE in. This would let you run OTK on both sides and replace the passenger side TRE if necessary.
That seems to be an a lot of butchering on a $400 steering system. I think I will either settle for the standard Currie set up or look a another system.

The Currie set up looks like it would handle alot of abuse in the stock location.

Any suggestions for an aftermarket high steer set-up?

FNF
Old December 29th, 2009, 10:44
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Its not a matter of abuse with the currie system, its a matter of reaching the limits of inverted Y steering. At 5"+ lift, you're going to be maxing out the TRE's when you droop the passenger side.

There is a dozen or more steering options out there. Check out the U-Turn setup, Toys by Troy setup, Bulletproof, JCR, WJ conversion, Reid Racing knuckles with high steer .. it goes on forever.
Old December 29th, 2009, 11:37
NAXJA Member # 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned View Post
I did it.

When the Currie Draglink end got sloppy, I chopped it off, welded on a DOM sleeve tot he draglink (not cast-forged-fwiw) with a weld-on threaded insert and then installed Tera TRE. This way you can replace any wear component. I also ran this setup OTK, but you can easily run it UTK. I put about 40K miles on this setup as my rig is a daily driver. I had to replaced the above mentioned draglink end and pitman arm end in that timeframe.

I recently sold this steering setup, as I've installed WJ knuckles and steering. If OTK is your goal, I would start with the WJ setup because you get the added bonus of killer brakes.

Last edited by XJEEPER; December 29th, 2009 at 12:03.
Old December 29th, 2009, 11:41
NAXJA Forum User

I installed the Tereflex high steer and am happy with it. The only real draw back is that the stock knuckle on the driver side is not as beefy. IMO, that is the weak link in the system.