• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need serious help with my liftgate!

88XjLaredo

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 XJ and the liftgate does nothing but rattle and rumble with every little bump that I hit in the road. This has become unbearable and annoying. It is so loud sometimes that I have to turn up the radio just to hear it. Can someone please tell me how to fix this? It would be greatly appreciated.

Open the liftgate. There should be little rubber bumpers on each side of the vertical edge that can be screwed in and out. Adjust these to provide some pre-load to the liftgate when closed. Check everything else to see what is loose and rattles. It's 16 years old and a jeep, it needs attention.

Fred

Give the latch pin on the bottom a good look. Mine had worn a notch on one side and rattled something fierce. Luckily, on my '89 it can be reversed 180 degrees and you'll have new metal-to-metal on the latch for a few more years.

Of course, check the rubber weatherstripping and bumpers as previously noted.

Adjust the latch pin location. Loosen the two screws and move it forward a bit then re-tighten. Is it possibly the interior panel that is rattling? If so, drill holes through it and install screws.

Back