NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > Jeep Street and Performance
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Jeep Street and Performance Do you like to go fast in your Jeep?

Old January 11th, 2020, 11:40
NAXJA Forum User

Re: New oiling project........

Here's the oil adapter parts(cosmolined and ready to vacumm pack) and the new pump ready to start on the work.

Old January 11th, 2020, 11:51
NAXJA Forum User

Here's the pre-oil pump next to the adapter for size. It has 3/8" BPP threads with nipples to 3/8" NPT that will get changed out to AN fittings.
Old January 11th, 2020, 15:00
NAXJA Forum User

Got my galley plugs in the mail today(and installed), tomorrow I'll start the die grinder work.
Old January 13th, 2020, 19:02
NAXJA Forum User

The pump is done just in time, I will receive my new oil pan tomorrow. I took pics but there is only one(the pick-up tube) that you clearly see anything of what I was doing. Now I have to find a location for the pre-oil pick-up to fit.

Old January 17th, 2020, 18:58
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Anti-warp jig

It's what I've been up to the last couple days. Tomorrow I will hammer out the pan to alleviate any issues there might have been with the pump clearance and then I will install the oil pump/pick-up(on the jig) for final mock-up. It's all very tight in there but once I get a chance to see it I will figure it out. I think I can guaranty that I can weld on this with-out any warpage. I'm still waiting on a couple of plumbing parts so I wanted to get this done.
Old January 21st, 2020, 18:35
NAXJA Forum User

Well I have massaged the pan as far as it will go. Tomorrow I will fit the pump for mock-up of the new pick-up tube. In the mean time I received all my fittings and have several configurations I can go with.

Old January 23rd, 2020, 21:06
NAXJA Forum User

It's the end of a long day! I finally got to bolt the oil pump(primary) into the pan. Besides the work on the pan, my jig took some work. After that I still had to grind on the pump to get any clearance(I will gain more with the pan gasket). I installed the pick-up tube and got the whole thing put together. I painted the area that I need to enter along with a 4qt line. Tomorrow when the suns up I'll get some pics.
Old January 24th, 2020, 11:33
NAXJA Forum User

I wished I had a spare motor to work with, but I have to deal with it the hard way. If you can see in the pics the blue marks represent the main bearing webs. Now all I need to do is crawl under the jeep to see where I can enter the pan(hope within my window).

Old January 25th, 2020, 21:44
NAXJA Forum User

I spent today under the Jeep and because of the starter my window got pretty narrow(down to less than 3"). Last night I tried to put a 90* bend in some 3/8"-.050" wall chromoly, I almost got it when it kinked(my bender has a 1" radius). I am looking at coming in with a totally straight piece right now but I can also get the thinner wall tubing to test with.
Old January 27th, 2020, 19:50
NAXJA Forum User

Sunday I finally drilled a penetration into the pan(commitment time) and started fitting a pick-up tube. Straight in didn't work, so I tried a kick in it(close but not quite) so I added another kick. I thought that was a go until I bolted the main pump back in, so I added another kick for a total of 3 - 15* bends and it looks like a go. I'll start the welding tomorrow and take some pics.
Old January 29th, 2020, 10:44
NAXJA Forum User

Re: oil pan's done

Came out pretty good, my penetration is 3" above the oil level and I tried to mimic the factory p/u while still missing it. The straight AN fitting should clear the starter/oil filter but the 45* fitting definitely will. Now all I have to is find time to install it, in the mean time I have to work on the pump bracket and tap the oil system.

Old February 1st, 2020, 10:28
NAXJA Forum User

I'll be working on my bracket today, but in the mean time I received my switch and cable for the dash wiring.
Old February 2nd, 2020, 15:30
NAXJA Forum User

I just finished up the the pump bracket. It mounts to the pass side frame rail motor mount directly below the coolant reservoir on a vertical tab(never knew what that was for). It's a kind of tight fit between the a/c hoses, but it fits!

Old February 6th, 2020, 12:24
NAXJA Forum User

Today I received what I hope is the last orders to put this all together. I got my weatherproof plug/connector for the pump, a ATO fuse holder for the harness, and a new Pioneer Multi-media receiver(the old Pioneer is going in the other 2000) since I need to get in the center dash section to install the switch. What's nice is the new receiver is only about half the depth and weight.
Old February 7th, 2020, 11:28
NAXJA Forum User

pumps in

It came out good with a good amount a space.