• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door Dead-Bolt Option for a house front door

yardape

NAXJA Member #272
Has anyone seen a front door deadbolt that deadbolts through the floor? Seems like a much more reliable option that the conventional locks that use the doorframe. It wouldn't even need to lock,.... and just be made ornamental enough out of brass so that it doesn't look like a tire iron sticking out of the floor.

Depends how you want it to operate. I've seen some nice ones that are made from brass plated steel, you drill a hole in the floor put a brass plated steel insert in, screw it down and another piece drops in the hole [think T shaped]. Downside is you need to do it from inside.
I also know there are front doors available that have 4+ deadbolts in them that are key and lever operated. They have dead bolts that operate 4 horizontally, 4 vertically. They also generally go into a hefty frame too and most of the doors are steel. Depending where you live also be prepared for interest by the local law enforcement people, they like to know who has armoured doors installed.
Nothing more embarrasing than when the battering ram does not work... :D :D

My 91yo grandmother had armoured windows and doors installed in her condo in clearwater after the last hurricane in the late 90's I think, she had two windows blown out by debris and interior stuff broken like family pictures on the walls when a couple of those clay roof tiles went thru the broken windows and literally exploded when they hit the cinderblock interior walls. Local law made a couple of visits within a day of her contractor placing the order... The doors are impressive, they are heavy but very well counter balanced for one finger operation almost, once you get it moving :D :D not cheap by any means, I seem to remember $2k per door, windows were like $500-$700.

If you want to go cheap, get a lockset kit, 4 deadbolt kits and get them keyed alike, put one in each corner... if the door has windows it's a waste of money though.

Rev Den said:
http://www.taylorbrothersdoorlock.com/

I know of another one...but cannot find it. It is just a brass t-shaped loop of rod that fits into a flush mounted hole in the floor.

Rev

It would be pretty tough to unlock that from the outside. Interesting though-

I don't know what's still out there, but there used to be a version of the "Fox Police Lock" that consisted of a brace bar, about as stout as an XJ track bar, that set into a socket in the floor, and at the top was attached to a lockable loop, usually right in the middle of the door. When unlocked, the bar would slide up through the loop, allowing the door to open, but when locked, the only way to get through was to demolish the door. Pretty ugly, though.

I googled "Fox Police Lock," but what came up was a different sort, so I don't know what's available. I think it was also known generically as a "tenement lock," but I haven't searched hard for it.

If you don't need to unlock it from outside, how about just getting a good big slide bolt, perhaps the sort made for gates or barn doors, and mount it on the door facing down. Drill a hole in the floor.

Matthew Currie said:
I don't know what's still out there, but there used to be a version of the "Fox Police Lock" that consisted of a brace bar, about as stout as an XJ track bar, that set into a socket in the floor, and at the top was attached to a lockable loop, usually right in the middle of the door. When unlocked, the bar would slide up through the loop, allowing the door to open, but when locked, the only way to get through was to demolish the door. Pretty ugly, though.

I googled "Fox Police Lock," but what came up was a different sort, so I don't know what's available. I think it was also known generically as a "tenement lock," but I haven't searched hard for it.

If you don't need to unlock it from outside, how about just getting a good big slide bolt, perhaps the sort made for gates or barn doors, and mount it on the door facing down. Drill a hole in the floor.

Actually the slide bolt is kind of what I was thinking about but didn't know the name to Google it. I don't care that much if someone breaks in when I'm not home so it doesn't have to unlock from the outside. My issue is that my front door is concealed from the street giving anyone unlimited time to break in should they choose to do so. When replacing locks after I moved in, it was apparent from the appearance of the door that someone had taken a crowbar or some other device to the handset because of the way the metal under the handset was bent in. I'm just looking for a bar of some sort like mentioned above that doesn't rely on the limited strength of the door frame to keep it from being forced open. Thanks for the responses.

Rev Den said:
http://www.taylorbrothersdoorlock.com/

I know of another one...but cannot find it. It is just a brass t-shaped loop of rod that fits into a flush mounted hole in the floor.

Rev

I like this one but I would also want to put something on the top of the door also. I know it would be hard to get in but if you did not have something on the top the just might be able to somehow force the top of the door open. But if they wante in that bad then they would find a way to get it with the lock or without. I also like the slide bar that goes to the top of door and bottom of the door. I know I have seen one somewhere.

Back