• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Silverton this weekend?

kemosabee

NAXJA Forum User
So the lady friend has the weekend off so we decided to go up to Silverton this weekend and do some playing around. We're probably going to do Engineer, Cinnamon, Stony Gulch, Ophir and then do Bolam Pass. Was wondering if anyone will be up that way this weekend and would want to tag along. We're leaving Pagosa Springs on Thursday afternoon and leaving Saturday night. We're heading towards Lake City first and camping out that way Thursday night. Let me know if anyone will be around!

James

My wife and I might be coming. It depends on work.

Randy, do you know which day you will be doing Black Bear?

Glen

kemosabee said:
Yeah I'll be there Thursday to Saturday so that wouldnt work. Oh well another time.
What time are you leaving Saturday? Would be nice to meet you anyway.

We won't roll into town till late afternoon sometime.

Probably later in the evening, dont want to leave Saturday, but the lady has to work on Sunday morning so we have to be back to PS at a decent time. It's nice that it's only 2 hours away though.

Weve got about 20 rigs coming up starting about the 24th and staying thru the 2nd of Aug.Doing everything thats open,Corkscrew is the only 1 left to open!

http://www.soajeep.com/custom1.shtml

California Pass - OPEN through, but icy at top.

Hurricane - OPEN, but very icy and slushy at top.

Corkscrew Pass - CLOSED on 7/21-7/24 and 7/28-7/31 for trail repairs . OPEN on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.

Brown Mountain Gulch - Open...Incredible Red Mountain Views! Some brush in trail.

Gladstone - OPEN

Imogene Pass- OPEN! Lots of snow on the upper elevations and absolutely SINGLE LANE only above false summit and Tomboy. All water crossings are high.... Exercise extreme caution! Yellow Rose Falls is beautiful!

Owl Creek Pass - OPEN

Picayune Trail - OPEN

Yankee Boy Basin - OPEN! Watch out for falling rocks and water run off as temperatures rise. Don't miss this trail as the falls are running through lots of snow.

Engineer Pass- OPEN!. ROCKY and ROUGHER than usual if you can believe that! Experienced, High Clearance, short wheel base vehicles strongly recommended.

Cinnamon Pass- OPEN to Lake City! Warm temperatures are causing severe run-off on the trail. Single lane traffic is necessary on much of the trail. BE CAUTIOUS! Expert off-road drivers and high clearance vehicles only!

Last Dollar Road -OPEN and beautful...although a little dusty!

Ophir Pass -OPEN

Red Mountain Town Loop -OPEN and MUDDY!

Silverton to Animas Forks -OPEN!

Cunningham Gulch - OPEN to Highland Mary Mine

Black Bear Pass. -OPEN

Governor's Basin.- OPEN

Maggie' and Minnie Gulch. OPEN

Poughkeepsie Gulch.- Snow drifts still present towards winch point and around Lake Como.

Stoney Pass - OPEN! High clearance vehicles for river crossings recommended.

South Mineral Springs - OPEN several miles into canyon.

RCP Phx said:
Weve got about 20 rigs coming up starting about the 24th and staying thru the 2nd of Aug.Doing everything thats open,Corkscrew is the only 1 left to open!
You will be there about the same time we will be. We will get there on July 26th and stay through the 3rd of Aug

I can't go this weekend so now it will hopefully be Aug 1-4. Work this year has been a pain!

IntrepidXJ said:
I should be there August 2-3 as well.

I hate people who live up the road from places like Silverton! :cheers:

I have been watching this thread, and my weekend suddenly opened up! I would love to come meet some fellow NAXJA'ers and get the jeep in 4lo. so on friday who will be where/when?? my only concern is my jeep is still stock, and i dont wanna slow/inconvinance anybody!

pyrotyro said:
I have been watching this thread, and my weekend suddenly opened up! I would love to come meet some fellow NAXJA'ers and get the jeep in 4lo. so on friday who will be where/when?? my only concern is my jeep is still stock, and i dont wanna slow/inconvinance anybody!
What days are you going to be there?

Sounds like Randy might wait and follow us down from GJ. We won't be in Silverton till late Sat. As far as I know we are running Black Bear on Sunday.

I've heard you can handle that trail stock but never having been there myself I'm sure there are lots of people way more qualified than I am to answer that.

Back