• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ coils on an XJ

It will depend on the donor vehicle,as I recall they usedat least 3 different spring sets on the ZJ.So you could get none or as much as 2".The mileage on the springs could affect it as well!

I am thinking of doing a budget boost with aal's and was hoping to find ZJ springs to compliment the lift height as opposed to the coil spacers. Any ideas what year donor might work?

TIA
Don

Its not a year thing,its about what engine,"Up Country","Tow package",etc..

ZJ Up country on 89 XJ

New ZJ up country springs on my 89 raised the front 2" Original springs were sagged; had only 1 1/2" of travel from bumpstop - the new springs put it at 3 1/2" - just about in center of travel - works fine.

To get 2" you need Up Country coils from a 1998 ZJ 5.9L. Good luck finding out which part number that is -- the dealer will ask you for a spring code or a VIN so he can look it up. The parts book will just show a '98 ZJ and three or four different coils, but won't tell you what they are.

You might go to a ZJ forum somewhere and post a request for someone who has a 5.9L ZJ to give you the spring codes or the VIN.

Eagle said:
To get 2" you need Up Country coils from a 1998 ZJ 5.9L. Good luck finding out which part number that is -- the dealer will ask you for a spring code or a VIN so he can look it up. The parts book will just show a '98 ZJ and three or four different coils, but won't tell you what they are.

You might go to a ZJ forum somewhere and post a request for someone who has a 5.9L ZJ to give you the spring codes or the VIN.

Hi Eagle,
Not to shoot down your good advice, but believe it, or not, the one option you could not get on a 5.9L ZJ was the UpCountry suspension.. (I just double checked the brochure to be sure)

At the time Jeep's view on this was that this model was designed for on road performance, rather than off road.
This may have been why they couldn't tell you which coils were for this combo.

Most people use 5.2L V8 UC coils, I used to have one of the PN's, but I can't find it right now.
Jimmy

Back