• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Project, PC XJ

langer1

NAXJA Forum User
I started a new Project I want to integrate a laptop with my 89 XJ.
Here are some pictures so far.
I plan to do a full write up and post it to my website if there’s interest.

So far I'm online moble and have full gps up and running.
IM000420.jpg

IM000421.jpg

Next will be to connect to the Renix data stream using DeltaDash.
dash1.png

Nice. Is that a Toughbook? More details of the Ecutek?

I use to do the laptop thing too. I got tired of taking the laptop in and out, so I switched to a "carputer" setup a few years ago. I miss the big screen though, 7" touchscreen now.

Last edited:
Osprey413 said:
What is your setup for mobile internet? Working on my Search and Rescue Jeep and a mobile internet setup would be ideal.
I have Verizon Wireless PC 5740 $59.00 a month unlimited.
I think Sprint has the same thing.
Yes it's a Toughbook with the touch screen.

Osprey413 said:
New toughbook or old one? I know the new ones run for around $3000.
Old one CF 27 400hz.
Oh and BTW I'm looking for information also at this point, I have not made up my mind about Ecutek.

Last edited:
Any reviews of the wireless broadband...speed? I'm assuming you can use it on your home computer too, so why not pay for this instead of cable or dsl, so you can use it at home and on the road...? Sounds cool.

I just sold my laptop mount on here. It's pricey, but I'd recommend it...or you can try to build something like it.
Epitome_Jr_1.jpg

What GPS software do you use? I use to have Delorme on my laptop and version1 of my carputer and it really sucked. The user interface is just not friendly for touchscreens or mobile use. I'm in the process of installing version2 of my carputer and switched to iGuidance. The interface is so much easier to use on the road.

Last edited:
Any reviews of the wireless broadband...speed? I'm assuming you can use it on your home computer too
Not with Verizon, speed seems to be around 360kbs. My home computer is on DSL.
I use Delorme Street Atlas 2005 with voice command, it works fine for me.
I plan to install something like Vontage for phone service but I don.t know for sure Voip is supported.
I don't think you can get Verizon wireless broadband by it's self mine's part of my package.
The other thing is it's not always connected, it connects only when needed so at times it takes awhile to connect. 30 seconds of inactivity it disconnects.

and I thought cell phones were distracting...

instead of 'hang up and drive" should I yell "sign off and drive"?

just my $.02

I use a toshiba libretto 110 in my car and as well as in the XJ..
It is about the size of a VHS video box, and it works great for my GPS. I use a garmin III plus and the De Lorme Street Atlas USA. The size of the PCis important as it does not take a lot of space. I built a custom mount with some wood, nicely finished in paint of the same color of the interior trim, so it is not very noticeable as an add on.
The libretto is not a touch screen, which would be nice, but I have found that its processor is more than enough to handle the few applocations I want for the road. I have now a USB adaptor and use my Nextel I930 phone as a modem. All the minutes are included in a $10.00 per month data plan, and with Widen activated, I get speeds of around 100 to 115 KBPS. If I need to browse the internet it is there.
I use a similar setup with a newer DEll and larger screen for my work travelling, which is worldwide... It has kept me out of trouble a couple oftimes.
I will try to post pictures.. I will have to upload them somewhere first.
Rgds.
Angel

langer1 said:
I plan to install something like Vontage for phone service but I don.t know for sure Voip is supported.
the cellular based data services do not have enough bandwidth to reliably support VoiP. Course, if you have enough signal to get the data flowing, your cell phone will work too...

twardozrally said:
the cellular based data services do not have enough bandwidth to reliably support VoiP. Course, if you have enough signal to get the data flowing, your cell phone will work too...
Just looking at making things easy because I already use voice control.

ckh550 said:
and I thought cell phones were distracting...

instead of 'hang up and drive" should I yell "sign off and drive"?

just my $.02

This is a very valid concern. I can't stress this enough.

I've been researching a couple of different interfaces to try to tweak my setup. It is very important to have a very easy to use, at a glance interface otherwise you end up with a distracted driver in an accident/collision.

Between reading up on MFD systems used in aircraft and experimenting with embedded consumer gadgets on the road I'm getting closer. The big thing with a vehicle install is having a good, custom, low workload interface that will not distract from the driving.

Of the devices I've been playing with the most streamlined for dealing with music media so far is the iPod interface but it generally kinda sucks for dealing with stuff while trying to drive. Too much back and forth in the interface I find, particularly if your music collection requires constant changing of your EQ settings. It doesn't help that the screen is so small either (iPod Nano). The other part of the problem I think is that the way you hold the device makes it awkward to use anyway, it's too small and as a result sucks your attention to it.

If you are using "canned apps" I really think it is important to make sure you are not trying to use/manipulate them while moving. Most GPS software can be "set to trace" while parked and will continue merrily along as you drive without manual intervention.

Music media can be handled the same way more or less with playlists, When a playlist ends you need a low workload method to start again or load another list. If it is more difficult than fumbling with a CD then you are asking for trouble. The whole point of digital media is to get rid of CDs...

My next "big thing" is integrating speech via festival or similar to do rudimentary things like switching between apps, loading different playlists, changing map displays, etc., etc.

Anyway, the point is be safe out there when using these systems in vehicles. There is a lot of potential for getting in an accident if you are too distracted.

Last edited:
WooHooo! dude very cool!!!!

I am doing the same thing with my tablet. toshiba m200.

I have not mounted it yet but have MP3, voice control/dictation at about 96% so I can post and drive ;) and mobile internet through Verizon I like it its fast enough for me :)

Welding class starts in May so will have brackets then.

I was thinking about mounting small cameras under the XJ and running them to the PC "rock cameras", anyone done this?

Osprey413 said:
What is your setup for mobile internet? Working on my Search and Rescue Jeep and a mobile internet setup would be ideal.
I would be very much surprised those frequencies would work anywhere except in your garage. Unless you plan on search and resque there, it should be useless. Cell phones are almost useless on trails, aren't they ?

Back