• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SierraFest and the Rubicon in August

Sun Aug 10: Wake up and hit the road by 7:30am. Temperature is very cool and perfect for driving. I head north up I-5 and start clicking off miles, stopping only for gas and once for Taco Bell in Cottage Grove. I make it up to Portland by about 3pm and can’t wait to get home in another 2.5 hours – unfortunately that is not going to happen. Sunday afternoon/night traffic from Portland to Tacoma is absolutely brutal and takes 6 hours because it is stop-and-go literally the whole way. I finally pull into Seattle around 8:45pm for a brutal 13 hour drive, the last 6 of which were in traffic. Feels good to be home so I kiss the kids and wife, take a shower, have a stiff drink, and pass out.

My Damage report:
a) Minor rock scrapes on the passenger rear quarter panel and it got pushed in a little. Nothing major.
b) Broke a tail light.
c) Almost broke my driver side mirror on the same tree, in the same way that I did 2 years ago. Another inch backward and it was a goner. Glad it didn't brake off.

Overall it was a fantastic trip and I plan to do it again in a year or two. I had an absolute blast wheeling with the Sierra Chapter on some great trails. More pics to come as I get them downloaded from my phone.

Last edited:
In total we start with 21 rigs which is a ton of rigs to run Rubicon with. Wow, that's a hell of a turn out for the Rubicon portion!

No matter how many times you drive the trail, the last 7 miles always seems so long. Yes.

We wait for Tim (knucklehead_61) to get back to camp from Slick Rock because he’s the best welder in camp. What a badass! How was Deer Valley compared to 2012? I felt like last year it was way more difficult.

...chug some Gatorade... I'm sensing a theme Josh. :D It starts to dawn on me that I am tired of camping and really want a shower and hotel room for the night. I am also not looking forward to doing a marathon drive home on Sunday. I remember that feeling. Definitely a long week.

Overall it was a fantastic trip and I plan to do it again in a year or two. I had an absolute blast wheeling with the Sierra Chapter on some great trails. More pics to come as I get them downloaded from my phone. Thanks for the recap! I wish I could have made it down with you this year. I was pissed all last week.

Deer Valley wasn't too bad this year. In fact, the gatekeeper seemed really easy almost like it was really filled in. I still love that trail, it's definitely one of my favorites.

More pictures coming in the following days as I sort them out.

So jealous and sad, I could not make it. Too much life in the way right now. 'They' tell me it will be worth it in the end, but I don't see the end. Oh yeah; my grave.

I found out that I get 80 hours vacation at my one year anniversary date. I'd really like to find out soon when this trip is going to be in 2015. I would really really like to make the trip down for it

I found out that I get 80 hours vacation at my one year anniversary date. I'd really like to find out soon when this trip is going to be in 2015. I would really really like to make the trip down for it

It us usually the first full week in august. Rubicon mon - wed then deervalley thurs-sunday.

Yep, in the past they tried to do it between the two Jamborees. I'd like to do it again next year.

Back