• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Don't call the new Jeep pickup a pickup

casm

NAXJA Forum User
That's funny, Too bad it's not the Nukizer.

The base model will come with an I-4, cost $35,000 and be available only in 2x4. But for a mere $50k you can get every amenity under the sun plus the engine you want and a true 4x4 system but no locker off the floor and it will carry the toned down D30/D44 setup of the Wrangler...but at least they put some chrome on it.

But I'll be happy as long as I can get the seats that blow cold air up my ass.

ETA: What ever happened to the Jeep Rescue?

Last edited:
ETA: What ever happened to the Jeep Rescue?

Mos of its styling was transferred to the JK before ending up stillborn. Too bad they didn't actually make that one - it was ticking all the right boxes for something of that size.

Just don’t call it a Jeep pickup: “It’s an exotic within Jeep.”
Yes, exotic because there was never anything with a Jeep label on it “with something that they call a truck bed.”

Scramblers and Comanches, please hide behind the curtain over there,..

Idiots in the marketing department had a hand in that speech. Unfortunately, the idea has merit and the potential to sell a few vehicles - probably never see the light of day.

Gah, repost. Deleted.

Dodge killed the commanche because it outsold the dakota and they needed a scape goat for a crappy front end design that ate and still eats front end parts.
That said I would love to find a 89 shelby dakota convertable :D :D :D that I could afford LOL

THey will screw it up.

Crappy engine

A bunch of crap i dont need (nav system, heated/cooled butt seat)

Don't knock the heated/cooled seat. That option ended AC wars in my family. Leave the vents on outside air and use the seat for individual tempature control. The long drive to visit the daughter in socal is now tolerable.

I sure hope they have AT LEAST a 6 foot bed available.

If this ends up being some abortion of a SUT it will suck... I never saw the point of those, if I wanted a tiny useless bed I would get an LJ, take the top off, and take the back seat out.

Have faith guys. The guy in charge of developing new models for Jeep and Ram has long been a proponent of a pickup; he was behing the J8 "Sarge" concept, the JT, Lower40 and Nukizer. When I asked him when he's going to stop making concept vehicles that are pickups, he replied, "I'm going to keep building 'em [concept cars] until they build one [a production model]." He's a big fan of diesels (both the J8 and Nukizer run the Italian 4-cylinder and seriously haul ass) and he's got great taste. FWIW, the Nukizer is still the coolest vehicle I've ever driven.

I think they'll be able to sqeeze some good stuff past the bean counters.

-M

741.jpg

Don't knock the heated/cooled seat. That option ended AC wars in my family. Leave the vents on outside air and use the seat for individual tempature control. The long drive to visit the daughter in socal is now tolerable.

Sounds like your family needs less A/C and more belt.
belt.jpg

Don't knock the heated/cooled seat.

xEleventybajillion.

Maybe it's just me getting older, but in modern vehicles I want both capability and convenience. While I agree that one shouldn't come at the expense of the other, it's amazing what a heated seat or sat-nav (or even just working air-conditioning) can do for your outlook on life when you get out of a vehicle after having spent two hours crawling in traffic - or on the trail.

If Chrysler does something smart and makes a 2-door JK Unlimited in the vein of the Scrambler or TJ Unlimited with a diesel and the option of heated seats, I could see that as an eventual replacement for the XJ - provided I can also get lockers at both ends. It sounds weird to say this after the way Jeep was handled under DCX, but I've got faith in Fiat figuring it out.

xEleventybajillion.

If Chrysler does something smart and makes a 2-door JK Unlimited in the vein of the Scrambler or TJ Unlimited with a diesel and the option of heated seats, I could see that as an eventual replacement for the XJ ...

Most Jeep by-products start small and grow to immense proportions, rendering them unaffordable and useless on the typical narrow trail. Narrow track CJs evolved into unaffordable JK behemoths, replete with options deluxe and street-hugging compromises.

I believe the utility value of the XJ is in stark contast to the JK, and now the Pickup-Nongrata featured in that article. If that nontruck is ever fielded as depicted, it will start life too large to be a suitable XJ replacement. After a few years, you can be assured they will add doors and other features to restoke the market and continue the initilal buying frenzy, further reducing its affordability and attainability.

I'm not saying that TruckJ is undesireable, but I don't think it is a suitable XJ replacement based on its size, cost, and potential growth. It is more likely to be parked alongside a stock JK at the local Nordstrom.

Most Jeep by-products start small and grow to immense proportions, rendering them unaffordable and useless on the typical narrow trail. Narrow track CJs evolved into unaffordable JK behemoths, replete with options deluxe and street-hugging compromises.

I agree with you to a point. The thing is, for the combination of wheeling that I do and daily-driver use, a 2-door JK with more cargo room than the current one has would get me pretty close to where the XJ is now. Having had to back a 4-door JK a quarter-mile down a blocked trail to find space to turn it around due to its length, that model holds no interest for me. The extra 4 inches of width over an XJ... Narrower is better, but I could get used to it.

The reality is that if I were just going for something that was a trail-only vehicle, I'd just get an XJ, YJ, or TJ and build that to suit. But for something that's a DD/WW, losing the things that make it liveable for 90% of the situations it's subjected to just isn't something I'm interested in. This is what I was getting at when I said that capability and convenience shouldn't be mutually-exclusive, and touches on one of my major gripes with how Chrysler has made options available across the range: getting feature x means taking package y, which isn't suitable for everyone. They need to get back to having wide mix & match of options across the range for customers who need it.

I believe the utility value of the XJ is in stark contast to the JK,

I'd argue that it's a different kind of utility, and that that utility is subjective based on the end user's needs and wants. As the current JK range stands, there's nothing to attract me to it over an XJ, but with the right tweaks to the lineup I could start to see the point if I needed to replace the XJ. Can't really speak as to why someone else would or would not buy one, though.

and now the Pickup-Nongrata featured in that article. If that nontruck is ever fielded as depicted, it will start life too large to be a suitable XJ replacement. After a few years, you can be assured they will add doors and other features to restoke the market and continue the initilal buying frenzy, further reducing its affordability and attainability.

I'm not saying that TruckJ is undesireable, but I don't think it is a suitable XJ replacement based on its size, cost, and potential growth. It is more likely to be parked alongside a stock JK at the local Nordstrom.

*Shrug* that remains to be seen, but I take your point.

Nothing appeals to me yet and I'm hitting 60 this year, I'm quite happy with the TJ and the XJ [though I would like working air in the XJ]. Got no problem dropping the top and or yanking the doors on the TJ's, don't mind the sun, don't mind the noise, don't want $5,000 of integrated electronics that will cost a fortune to fix two years after the warranty runs out. Be nice if jeep just came out with $15K wrangler again, I might not even bitch to much if it has a mini-van motor...

NOTHING having to do with So Cal is tolerable.

...,but in modern vehicles I want both capability and convenience,...
Isn't amazing how often you get incapable and inconvenient?

I could understand being able to do one or the other, but not both. I completely fail to understand why so many companies deliver neither.

Back