NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old September 21st, 2004, 16:25
NAXJA Forum User

Attaching front tabs to custom bumper

I made a custom front bumper (1/4" steel), the mounting system goes all the way back to cover the large oval holes, there is another reinforced piece that it attaches to also, which attaches to the front crossmember, etc. My question is about the tabs that go on the front where you can put a D-Ring in them for recovery purposes. I can come up with lots of ideas to make them bulletproof , but I want to know if it would be strong enough to just weld the tab directly to the front of the bumper, as long as it's a good weld? My last C-Rok bumper had it that way but I never tried it out. What are everyone's thoughts?
Old September 21st, 2004, 18:38
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Attaching front tabs to custom bumper

Here's a recent post on Jeepin.com about this same question that should help you out. My post is about 8 down, so I don't have to type all that again:

http://jeepin.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb...1;p=1#0000 08
Old September 21st, 2004, 19:02
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Attaching front tabs to custom bumper

Yeah, dumb question. I'll spend the extra time and do it bulletproof so I never have to think twice about it. 2" thick seems overkill though, and like extra weight. I'm thinking 3/4" or 1" thick, all the way through the c-channel, welded on all three sides inside the bumper as well as outside.