• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carry in vehicle?

mcantar18c

NAXJA Forum User
I searched. I these are the various things I've found. I'm thoroughly confused.

I've heard:
-It doesn't matter where the firearm is kept.
-The firearm has to be out of the immediate reach of the driver.
-It needs to be kept out of sight.
-It needs to be kept in plain sight so a cop can see it.
-It doesn't matter if its loaded or not.
-It has to be unloaded and the ammo and firearm have to be kept in separate areas.
-You need a CCW permit.
-You don't need a CCW permit.

I hate searching for info on firearm laws cause everything is different and its a PITA to figure out which stuff is legit and what's just hearsay.
I'm only looking for CO-specific laws. Any of you LEO guys have answers on this?

yes it is legal... for the most part... but there are gray areas depending on municipality. do your own research (which is kinda what you're doing here). call your local LE agency or CSP or read legitimate websites and get factual information from credible sources. i doubt a cop will give you a break cause you say "But the guys on NAXJA said so!" lol.

props to you for checking and informing yourself though. too many people DONT do that.

This answers my question...
"A handgun is not considered concealed if it is in the possession of a person who is in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance who is carrying it for a legal use, or the handgun is in the possession of a person who is legally engaged in hunting activities within the state."

This I found pretty interesting (thinking shotgun/rifle in a gun rack)...
"It is unlawful to have a firearm other than a handgun in or on any motor vehicle unless the chamber is unloaded."

Thanks guys :thumbup:

Do you actually know how to use a hand gun?? :moon:

Looks like I need to move out of Massachusetts lol. Gun laws are crazy here. I have a class A license to carry (I carry concealed as well), and what I was told in the course I took was that I can legally have a pistol loaded and on me in a vehicle, whether it is concealed or open, as long as it is in my possession. So basically it has to be in a holster on my hip. It cannot be in the glovebox, center console, etc. If it is not in my immediate possesion it has to be unloaded and locked in a case.

good thing you are doing research and not just assuming.

but one thing to think of, since you are going in the military, their laws superceed every federal law (while on post). and to get a POW out of the arms room (thats where it will be unless you live off post) is a pain in the ass.

you are the one going in right? if not disregard that previous

good thing you are doing research and not just assuming.

but one thing to think of, since you are going in the military, their laws superceed every federal law (while on post). and to get a POW out of the arms room (thats where it will be unless you live off post) is a pain in the ass.

you are the one going in right? if not disregard that previous

Negative! DOD law IS Federal law! There are specifics to each branch, they are minor but superceed nothing.

Wrong. you cannot have a loaded weapon on post conceal carry or not, unless you are DA police and in a gov vehicle, MP in gov vehicle, guard in gov vehicle. all other weapons have to be unloaded and in plain view with post registration and can only be tranported to and from range, or to and from arms room.

EDIT: superceed every federal was too broad a statement. superceed local laws on transporting a weapon

well... a base isnt exactly public property... so they can make whatever firearms regulations they want... right? doesnt really have anything to do with local state or federal law if its private property.

not really. thats a broad statement as well. private property, in its sense still falls under federal/state laws. a base is federal property... federal? anyway, military cannot lower federal laws to suit them, they can only add to it (think thats right, its early)

if you are caught carrying, DA cops will be called

didnt you know all commercial trucks get inspected when entering a secure facility...they dont like it on pete or shriever or AFA but FT Carson they could care less

yeah i do, but they dont frisk people. if your gun is in plain sight, something will be said. if it hasnt yet, dont worry, it will be.

Get yourself a good range bag , weapons slide into the bag easily , rounds
and mags go in different side pockets . bags are lockable , stealthy and you can still access your firearm if needed .

On average I have three or four firearms at a time whilst driving to/ fro the
range .

Back