• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tail lights, Turning lights and Shifter lights STAY ON

JSwamper

NAXJA Forum User
Tail lights, Turning lights and Shifter lights STAY ON
All my signal lights blink as they should but when I turn off my jeep, the tail lights, turning lights and the lights for shifter and 4x4 stay on. My headlights work fine.

I tried changing the dimmer/ headlight switch and that did nothing.

Im not too great at troubleshooting electrical so I was wondering if someone can tell me where to start looking. thanks

[Im not too great at troubleshooting electrical so I was wondering if someone can tell me where to start looking. thanks

Let's start with year and model - there were a number of revisions to the XJ's electrical systems over the years, and they all have their own peculiarities.

sorry... its a 98 4.0L

Okay, that helps narrow things down. Thanks.

Common on late-model XJs is the turn indicator stalk failing along with (though they can happen at different times) the indicator relay. If I were in your shoes, I'd test & replace the flasher relay first; if that doesn't cure it, replace the turn indicator switch. Obviously check for poor connections, bad grounds, wiring damage, etc. as well, but these two would be where I'd start.

Given that you mention the shifter light staying on, it's possible that there's also something wrong with the headlamp switch as that also controls instrument illumination. However, starting with the indicator stalk, flasher relay, and related wiring would be a good starting point; if that doesn't fully-fix the issue, we can start looking into the headlamp switch.

if by headlamp switch you mean the dimmer/headlight swtich, then I already changed that and it was still doing the same thing.

As for the flasher relay, where would that be located?

if by headlamp switch you mean the dimmer/headlight swtich, then I already changed that and it was still doing the same thing.

Hm. OK. Possible wiring fault in the circuits it controls, but that's just a supposition on my behalf at this point.

As for the flasher relay, where would that be located?

Behind the kick panel below the steering column, over towards the left as you're sitting in the driver's seat. It's hard to describe the exact location; if the indicators or hazards are still working, turn them on and follow the noise until you find it. There's enough snap in the relay when it opens and closes that if you've got your hand on it you'll feel it clicking.

I know this is an old thread but I still have the proglem and im really getting into now. So I found the blinker relay, its under the "dimmer/headlight switch". I can feel the pulse on it.

So my question is do I remove it? and how do I test it. I know i have to use a multimeter. Im guessing I put it on the Ohms setting and check the continuity?

If anyone else knows any possible ideas, id like to hear them.

I have the whole inside apart and check for bad grounds and loose connection and everything seems to be in top shape.

Ok so I went through all my fuses one at a time (inlcuding the ones on pass. side kick panel). All the fuses are fine... I did find one that took out the lights that were staying on(signal light, tail light, t-case/shifter light.

I cannot find in the manual what it controls, so I took a picture hoping someone can help me out.
http://s1140.photobucket.com/albums/n580/mofohunter/?action=view&current=Picture0944.jpg

what is the next step?

Yes my front identification is correct.

Now, how should I do this.??

im thinking of using a test light and tracing the problem upstream from the #33 Fuse which is connected to the Ignition Run/Start. Does that mean its connect to my igniton switch(key insert)?

Where would these wire being runing to?

mine is a 98 but im guessing its the same thing

I am going to try and revise this thread...

UPDATE.. I still have the same problem with the lights staying on, but it will work sometimes?!?!??? about every other day the lights will work properly and turn off with the vehicle. weird right?

I checked every ground and look couldn not find a loose connection. I also forgot to mention that the jeep came with trailer lights and I was wondering the if Tailight, turning light and shifter lights would be connected to them?

I am going to try and revise this thread...

UPDATE.. I still have the same problem with the lights staying on, but it will work sometimes?!?!??? about every other day the lights will work properly and turn off with the vehicle. weird right?

I checked every ground and look couldn not find a loose connection. I also forgot to mention that the jeep came with trailer lights and I was wondering the if Tailight, turning light and shifter lights would be connected to them?
Trailer wiring could definitely be your problem. there should be a small controller for the trailer wiring, and it should be in the back somewhere. I would look behind the drivers side trim panel first. IIRC that is where the main tail light harness plug is located. What I find odd is that you say the console indicator lights stay on, but not the rest of the dash lights, and the tail lights, but not the front parking lights.

I do not have a FSM for a 98, but I bet 5-90 does. You might PM Jon, and see if he could be of any help. He's pretty good with wiring too. It's been a while sense I've been around, and while I am thinking he specializes in Renix stuff I believe he was working on a FSM data base for the whole XJ line up from 86 to 01.

I appreciate te reply...I found the trailer light box. I will try installing a new one to see if
That works. I don't see any corrosion or anything like that.

The lights thT stay on are turning indicator lights. Dashboard and shifter lights as well as tailights

Was it where I thought it was,or somewhere else? Like I said it's been awhile sense I've been kept up on the XJ, but IIRC there are two styles of trailer kits. One that uses a keyed ignition source for power, and one that doesn't. Also I believe there can be issues with the tail light sockets themselves. In that they corrode, and cause weird issues like your describing.

Back