• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

online ammo stores?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
Where do you guys buy your ammo from? Does anyone buy it online? I know of CheaperThanDirt, but is there anything else out there that's worth checking out?

Thanks

What calibres?

Check out Sportsman's Guide - they've usually got good deals on "military" and "mainstream" calibres, as well as some of the more common Eurpoean stuff.

Go to your local Barnes & Noble, and grab a copy of Shotgun News - it's worth reading anyhow, will list gun shows in your area, and also has a boatload of adverts in it that you won't find in G&A or most other gun rags.

Still - what calibres? It matters...

5-90

5-90 said:
What calibres?
45 gap and 12 guage

Check out Sportsman's Guide - they've usually got good deals on "military" and "mainstream" calibres, as well as some of the more common Eurpoean stuff.

Go to your local Barnes & Noble, and grab a copy of Shotgun News - it's worth reading anyhow, will list gun shows in your area, and also has a boatload of adverts in it that you won't find in G&A or most other gun rags.

Still - what calibres? It matters...

5-90
Yeah, there is going to be a show within a month... I'll be in attendance :D

Kejtar said:
45 gap and 12 guage

Yeah, there is going to be a show within a month... I'll be in attendance :D

.45 GAP - Glock Auto Pistol? I'm not quite familiar with that one...

12 gage can be had fairly cheap just about anywhere - as long as you're not looking for anything too exotic. You might also have fun with this link - www.deltaforce.com.

If the .45GAP will also chamber .45ACP, you can find that pretty much anywhere without too much effort.

If you'd said 7m/m or 8m/m Mauser, or ammo for a Mosin-Nagant, it would have been more difficult - but these are easy. Are you looking for anything special, besides cheap ammo?

5-90

5-90 said:
If the .45GAP will also chamber .45ACP, you can find that pretty much anywhere without too much effort.
Nope it won't: casing is different. Upside of that one is that I like the way it fits my hand, downside is that the ammo is not that popular for it yet (will it ever be? who knows)

If it's a newish, proprietary, calibre, forget about finding cheap ammo for it for about 10 years...

I prefer the .45ACP in an M1911/M1991 variation - but I've got short fingers. The only Glock I like is the G36 - compact single-stacker. The rest of them are just too fat for me to feel like I've got a good grip on them.

I'll have to check this one out - I can't help thinking it's an answer in search of a question, but I'd need to know more...

5-90

5-90 said:
I'll have to check this one out - I can't help thinking it's an answer in search of a question, but I'd need to know more...

Take a look at it and you might like it. I went to Turners just to look at handguns (ok, I went to buy... but I was deluding myself that I was not going to spend any $ :D ) and I checked out a whole line of them. The Glocks had too fat of a handle for it to be comfortable. The ACP Springfield actually felt pretty good, but I have picked and tried the GAP one right before that and well, the ACP didn't fell right probably cause the GAP one felt just right. The rest of them... well they definately were out of my pricerange.

Local gun shows (no shipping)
Sportsmansguide (join their club for free and save a few bucks)
Cheaperthandirt (Usually very good prices)
ammoman.com (I think thats the right name. Usually good prices)
Midway USA
Brownells

Midway and Brownells are more for parts, but occasionally have good ammo deals.
Prices are usually fairly competative. The big differance is in shipping rates.

Learn to reload if you do a lot of shooting. It pays off in the long run.

Yeah, I generally only order cheap.223 & 9mm ammo when I can find it. Most of the handgun ammo I have is from local stores though.
Just found some Win.45ACP at wallyworld this week for $21.00 in a 100 round box. I bought all they had. That's hard to beat unless you're buying the Russian stuff in a steel case. I usually try to buy ammo with a brass case so I can reload when I get a chance.
Seems to me that if you do alot of shooting it would be much cheaper to reload the .45GAP since it is a fairly new and proprietary cartridge from Glock.

I buy all of my shotgun ammo at the first of Sept when it goes on sale for the dove hunt. I typically buy 3-4 cases at a time, and don't buy any for the rest of the year.

Everyting else I reload and haven't purchased as assembled ammo since about 1989-1990.

for shotgun shells we have a local gas station that sells steel for about 7$ a box if you can get there before it's all gone. Wal mart again for lead.

I hate the fact that their prices are so low that it is actually enticing enough to lure you away from local guys. I digress, that was another thread.

If I can't get a good deal on some local cheap stuff (kinda crap I just unload with for fun), I use cheaperthandirt.com I've gotten my membership from them almost 10x in savings so far.

Kejtar said:
Take a look at it and you might like it. I went to Turners just to look at handguns (ok, I went to buy... but I was deluding myself that I was not going to spend any $ :D ) and I checked out a whole line of them. The Glocks had too fat of a handle for it to be comfortable. The ACP Springfield actually felt pretty good, but I have picked and tried the GAP one right before that and well, the ACP didn't fell right probably cause the GAP one felt just right. The rest of them... well they definately were out of my pricerange.

I may have to dig a little deeper. I've been shooting Government Model for so long that it just feels right - seems to just grow out of my fist.

Oddly enough - there is a double-stacker I like - H&K Mk23 (.45ACP - look it up.) I don't know why - damn thing's a fatbody, but it manages to settle down neatly.

Granted, I can pick up just about anything and shoot it, but I still have favourites - 1911/1991, Mk 23, Browning Hi-Power, H&K P7 all leap to mind. Don't even get me started on the Beretta - I never did like that thing.

5-90

Originally posted by 5-90:
Don't even get me started on the Beretta - I never did like that thing.

I've got a stainless model 96 and it has operated flawlessly for well over 1000 rounds. I love he operation of the safety/decocker and I've never accidentally double tapped it, which is more than I can say for the .40 USP. looks like I finally disagree with you on something 5-90.

Back