NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old December 13th, 2003, 21:45
NAXJA Forum User

Aw4 without comp

Can an Aw4 be run without the comp.. Just manually shifted.. My rig is trail only and I'm sick of stirring soup...
Old December 13th, 2003, 22:03
Lifetime NAXJA Member

Re: Aw4 without comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZXJ
Can an Aw4 be run without the comp.. Just manually shifted.. My rig is trail only and I'm sick of stirring soup...
Yes. In fact, removing the fuse is one of the diagnostic procedures. When controlled manually, it omits either first or second gear -- sorry, it's late and I don't recall which. If you have a FSM read the diagnostic procedure and it's all spelled out for you.

Owner/Driver/Enabler of "The Fleet"
Self-appointed President-for-Life of the World MJ Preservation Society
Old December 13th, 2003, 22:21
NAXJA Forum User

Eagle,

I'm runnig a 5 spd now and want to swap to an auto. I can score a good Aw4 for a great price and the comp doesn't come with it.. Thanks for the help..
Old December 13th, 2003, 22:23
NAXJA Forum User

yes it can! i am going to swap an AW4 into my MJ from the BA10 5speed, and rather than messing with all the electronics and sensors, I'm going to make it manually shifted.

I am going to make mine pushbutton, where I will have 5 switches probably on the dash. 1-4 will be momentary switches, one for each gear, and the fifth will be an on-off switch to lock/unlock the torque convertor. It gets pretty tricky with lots of relays and diodes to accomplish this, but I finally got it all figured out and I'm going to be making mine in the next couple weeks, I could make you one as well. I could also make it so there is a rotary knob for 1,2,3,4 and a button for the TC lock.

you still need to use the shifter to select Park and Nuetral, then just put it in "D" and use the buttons for full manual control.
Old December 13th, 2003, 22:26
NAXJA Forum User

Mad,

That's sounds pretty sweet. What are you charging to make this setup?? I like the push button idea.. But for the mean time, Would just manually shifting it through the gears work??
Old December 13th, 2003, 22:32
PostMaster General

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad maXJ
yes it can! i am going to swap an AW4 into my MJ from the BA10 5speed, and rather than messing with all the electronics and sensors, I'm going to make it manually shifted.

I am going to make mine pushbutton, where I will have 5 switches probably on the dash. 1-4 will be momentary switches, one for each gear, and the fifth will be an on-off switch to lock/unlock the torque convertor. It gets pretty tricky with lots of relays and diodes to accomplish this, but I finally got it all figured out and I'm going to be making mine in the next couple weeks, I could make you one as well. I could also make it so there is a rotary knob for 1,2,3,4 and a button for the TC lock.

you still need to use the shifter to select Park and Nuetral, then just put it in "D" and use the buttons for full manual control.
Wouldn't it be simpler just to get a stick
Old December 13th, 2003, 22:38
NAXJA Forum User

I'm trying to eliminate the Stick.. It's not fun anymore..
I've spent 5 years wheeling with a stick, time for something diffrent.
Old December 13th, 2003, 22:42
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Mad,

That's sounds pretty sweet. What are you charging to make this setup?? I like the push button idea.. But for the mean time, Would just manually shifting it through the gears work??

I haven't decided how much I would charge yet, after I make mine I'm going to think about making more and selling them if I can keep the cost reasonable.

I could also make it so that if you already had an auto tranny, you could flip a switch to deactivate the computer and activate the pushbuttons. This would use a few more relays and would cost more.

I think I'm gonna shoot for making the one for manual only control $80, and the one for auto or manual $100. If I can't reasonably do it for that, then I will probably abandon the idea.

In the meantime, you can shift with the shifter, but there will be no 2nd gear, and the torque convertor will never lockup. So you can get around, but not the best scenario.
Old December 13th, 2003, 22:45
NAXJA Forum User

Mad,

Shoot me an email with som pictures when your done building the push button setup.. I'm definately interested.

ArizonaXJ@hotmail.com
Thanks
Old December 13th, 2003, 22:47
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kejtar
Wouldn't it be simpler just to get a stick

Torque convertor will roughly double your crawl ratio! You will notice that everyone rockcrawling these days is going with auto trannies, and many of them spend several hundred dollars on manual valvebodys. the same things can be accomplished on the AW4 electronically for less $$

For me, it's also an issue of getting rid of the BA10 before it blows up on me.

and pushbutton shifting is just plain cool :
Old December 13th, 2003, 22:53
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Mad,

Shoot me an email with som pictures when your done building the push button setup.. I'm definately interested.

ArizonaXJ@hotmail.com
Thanks

I PMed you, we can communicate by email also mynameisbrett@hotmail.com
Old December 13th, 2003, 23:01
PostMaster General

you guys might want to look for the archives of the big XJ list @ moab offroad as IIRC someone there has built what you have described....
Old December 13th, 2003, 23:12
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kejtar
you guys might want to look for the archives of the big XJ list @ moab offroad as IIRC someone there has built what you have described....
huh... I have never seen that site before

I used the search function and couldn't find anything, and I scrolled quickly through the first 25 pages and didn't see anything
Old December 13th, 2003, 23:15
NAXJA Forum User

Actually, you can do it with only three switches, and simplify your electronics. There are two solenoids which accomplish the system, and one more for the TCLockup. This would eliminate the need for the complex electronics, as simpler is always better. I don't have everything handy at the moment, but I'm pretty sure I have a "truth table" somewhereabouts for the AW4 shifting, and the approach was rather simple...

I don't have anything against electronics, I just don't like complicating systems unnecessarily...

5-90
Old December 13th, 2003, 23:27
NAXJA Forum User

When you find that table would you please pass it on to me.

Thanks
ArizonaXJ@hotmail.com