• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TOTM: Unibody Stiffening

I couldn't get a clamp on this spot because of the factory shock mount so used a self tapper to bring it flush, worked good.
Picture059.jpg

Xj9140, read the post he quoted - I said both work and noted to avoid brake kleen on things being welded

found this in xj9140's thread over in mod tech, and thought of this thread.
I brushed on a bunch of brake fluid to remove the under coating. Scrapes of with a putty knife real easy

Picture044.jpg

my 3/16 plates

Picture056.jpg

I marked were to grind
Picture057.jpg

Picture058.jpg

when I pulled my leaf spring the damn welds broke on the nutsert deal
Picture063-1.jpg

I had to cut a another hole in the floor and install a new nut, PITA
Picture061.jpg

I welded in a nut attached to some flat bar (see far left) those other plates are for plating the leaf pockets
Picture064-1.jpg

The rears complete, still need to finish the rest

Picture116.jpg

Why doesn't anyone make a brace or big skid plate that ties the framerails together along almost the whole length between the tires? It doesn't have to be one piece, it could be 2 that bolt together. Hell, you could connect to the pinch seams too and have a nice flat underside with some 3Dness for more rigidity.

Similar to this, but filled in for protection. BTW note that this Miata has a more protected cat than almost all of us :D

IMG_9008.jpg

Why doesn't anyone make a brace or big skid plate that ties the framerails together along almost the whole length between the tires? It doesn't have to be one piece, it could be 2 that bolt together. Hell, you could connect to the pinch seams too and have a nice flat underside with some 3Dness for more rigidity.

Similar to this, but filled in for protection. BTW note that this Miata has a more protected cat than almost all of us :D

Because you have a driveshaft (or two) and some other things that hang down below the rails. Look underneath with your suspension extended and see where you could tie the sides together.

our chassis havent really changed since 2010, so theres not really much to add?

Back