• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So what looks like a dead battery, acts like a dead battery, but isnt a dead battery?

ShaneA319

NAXJA Forum User
The past week I've been having a problem where I'll turn the key and nothing happens, not even a click like a drained battery. Then I'll have to jump or charge it in order to start the jeep.

Every once in a while I'll be able to rotate the key a few times and everything will light up like normal and I can start it.

What the heck?

Try disconnecting the battery cables and scuffing up the clamp and post. Maybe you have a bad connection. Mine looked good but weren't..

Info on vehicle in question?

That sounds familiar to me - I would see a total vehicle blackout on occasion, and it turned out to be in my big firewall connector (where the engine harness connects to the back of the fuse panel in the driver's footwell). One of the wires in that connector is a 10-ga. that in my case was completely corroded away, and making occasional contact just out of sheer proximity. I didn't find that corrosion until I was in the middle of splicing a new connector onto the engine harness.

In your case, it may be that the jumper cables or charger increased the voltage just enough to overcome whatever the problem actually is.

Sounds like you only checked by the battery for corrosion. Check your bulkhead connector. If you can wiggle it when the truck's blacked out and get things to come on, it could well be the culprit.

Info on vehicle in question?

That sounds familiar to me - I would see a total vehicle blackout on occasion, and it turned out to be in my big firewall connector (where the engine harness connects to the back of the fuse panel in the driver's footwell). One of the wires in that connector is a 10-ga. that in my case was completely corroded away, and making occasional contact just out of sheer proximity. I didn't find that corrosion until I was in the middle of splicing a new connector onto the engine harness.

In your case, it may be that the jumper cables or charger increased the voltage just enough to overcome whatever the problem actually is.

Sounds like you only checked by the battery for corrosion. Check your bulkhead connector. If you can wiggle it when the truck's blacked out and get things to come on, it could well be the culprit.

x2

I was going to suggest this, but when mine was loose, it would kill the car, but the headlights and stuff on the battery side of the harness still worked. I needed more info.

There is something wrong with my personality.

While I generally like to help people, I never feel all that motivated to do so when people WON'T POST UP WHAT THEY ARE WORKING ON.

Maybe I should call and get another appointment with my doctor.

There is something wrong with my personality.

While I generally like to help people, I never feel all that motivated to do so when people WON'T POST UP WHAT THEY ARE WORKING ON.

Maybe I should call and get another appointment with my doctor.

It's a jeep. There's only one, duh.

Next time provide us with what year vehicle, transmission, and engine?
This information would assist us to help you troubleshoot your problem.
Sounds like you may have found your problem.

Back