NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Events > Past NAXJA Events > PAST NAXJA EVENTS > WinterFest 2010
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

WinterFest 2010 Planning and discussion for MWC WinterFest 2010. March 5-7 2010 at Badlands ORP, Attica, IN

Old March 8th, 2010, 20:44
NAXJA Forum User

Re: WF ideas!

it wont happen. i know that the people around the park already complain about the noise as is
Old March 8th, 2010, 20:47
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikey32 View Post
it wont happen. i know that the people around the park already complain about the noise as is
Sure my exhaust is loud but I'll guess those complaints are more towards the ATV/bike people...
Old March 8th, 2010, 20:48
NAXJA #1499

I wasn't suggesting we night wheel at the badlands, because I know that won't happen. i was simply making an observation that if push came to shove, there are other places to have winterfest and being able to wheel outside banker's hours is a negotiating point.

The MWC is huge. Most folks are centrally located around a place to wheel, hence the reason you get so many folks at winterfest at the badlands. You're probably not going to get someone that lives 12 hours away to show up unless he's a dumb jarhead that doesn't know any better.

If there's another naxja sponsored official event on the calender, considerations should be made for people who aren't located in indiana/illinois/ohio and it should be held at another wheeling venue.
Old March 8th, 2010, 20:49
NAXJA Member

I know that the Badlands has allowed night wheeling for Zukimelt. It was an organized run for a limited number of participants but it was allowed. orange trail is a blast at night.

jim
Old March 8th, 2010, 20:56
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeep View Post
You're probably not going to get someone that lives 12 hours away to show up unless he's a dumb jarhead that doesn't know any better.
Careful what you say there, there are a fair share of us that make a commitment to a 8-10+ hr drive one way...

As for other venues, MN/WI doesn't have much, tho there is a place in WI I'm trying to work with for a M&G/Wheeling event....

Most of us go more for the M&G anyways, wheeling is just a perk...

tEx
Old March 8th, 2010, 21:04
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Just a thought after reading a few more pages:

Keep in mind that if you're going to negotiate with the park for early arrival times, discounts on camping, etc. (if that's the direction the MWC wants to go) you HAVE to be willing to pull the trigger on another park.

As long as the old guard of the MWC continues to say "this is where winterfest will be held forever," you have nothing that the badlands wants that it won't get by sticking to its guns. I personally think that there should be much more of a partnership than there is, but unless they're concerned about losing the revenue we generate, they're not going to make any concessions to bring in our business.
----------------
I know it's not Hale's intention, but the vibe you're putting out tells me you think everyone bailed on cleaning the VFW. If you don't solicit volunteers prior to dinner, then mention it to the 50 or so people left after the raffle, you're probably not going to get much help. We threw our trash away, pushed the chairs in and saw what everyone else did: no one in charge.

I can't speak for Kyle (park owner) but I'm pretty sure he'd be willing to work with us. He knows that WF is a long running event and in the past has been all ears when I was talking with him on WF realated issues back in my MWC Presidential days. I truely don't believe that he's got the "I've got them by the sack!" mentality. He's just not that kind of person.

You're partially right on the VFW cleanup.
It's not my intention to put off that vibe. I shouldn't expect everyone to stay, and I don't. I do think that part of the issue was the "shock factor". In the past, we wiped off tables, pushed chairs in, and ran the dust mop over the floor and we were done. This year was a different beast. We had more people this year than ever, and it sorta through us for a loop as far as the clean up goes. Yes, we should have thought of that but, we didn't. I know I didn't anyway. Another thing is that the VFW wasn't really prepared for us either. The lady workingthe bar had no idea we were going to be there from my understanding. The VFW knew.....they just didn't relay the message. I think all we'd have to do is ask and they to would accomidate us with some more folks behind the bar.

Having dinner a bit later is a good idea and I do think it would help. Just us simply talking about here I think is good. Folks now know what it took to clean that stuff up and might be a little bit more aware of it next year.

Thanks for your input Josh. I/we do appericate it.
Old March 8th, 2010, 21:06
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99SJ_Ex View Post
Careful what you say there, there are a fair share of us that make a commitment to a 8-10+ hr drive one way...

As for other venues, MN/WI doesn't have much, tho there is a place in WI I'm trying to work with for a M&G/Wheeling event....

Most of us go more for the M&G anyways, wheeling is just a perk...

tEx

You've never met Josh have you?
Old March 8th, 2010, 21:08
NAXJA #1499

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleYes View Post

Thanks for your input Josh. I/we do appericate it.
I appericate you too
Old March 8th, 2010, 21:39
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
I appericate you too
My fingers get ahead of my brain sometimes.
Old March 8th, 2010, 21:44
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleYes View Post
My fingers get ahead of my brain sometimes.
*keeps smart ass remarks to himself*
Old March 9th, 2010, 16:09
NAXJA Forum User

The portions will be addressed with Robies.

the VFW hall is it, there was room for additional tables, and the bartender issue has been addressed already.

Winterfest will ALWAYS be in Attica, we learned from our mistake, and wont make it again.

I also like the idea of a two day event, that way we can get off the trails early enough on Saturday to allow everyone to clean up for dinner.

We will also be working with Badlands to allow us to set up registration before the gates open so we are ready. they let us in early this year.....but not early enough...they asked what time we wanted to be in, and I told them, I whoopsed.

Rev

Last edited by Rev Den; March 9th, 2010 at 16:15.
Old March 9th, 2010, 17:35
BACON!

my only suggestion is to turn down the heat at the VFW a bit, damn i was hot
Old March 9th, 2010, 17:41
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWSTER View Post
my only suggestion is to turn down the heat at the VFW a bit, damn i was hot
Heat was off.
Air was on.
Old March 9th, 2010, 18:07
NAXJA Forum User

josh kept making me open the door. i kept closing it because it was hard to hear haha.
Old March 9th, 2010, 18:17
NAXJA Forum User

I am still taking notes everyone. If you have ideas or opinions, please keep them coming. We can only make this event better each year if we get the input from you, the attendees. I am not directly addressing some of the suggestion in an open forum due to many reasons, but have faith that your suggestions and opinions are being heard and will (or currently are) being discussed by the WF Staff and the MWC BOD. Thanks again for the input. I personally believe that the WF staff did an outstanding job in putting this event together and overall it was a great success. There were countless hours of work and phone calls/emails put in to pull this off, and it was all done by VOLUNTEERS who got not a single thing in return. I personally came into office in January and most the hard stuff was already planned, so my input was minimal from the stand point of the new position. I do really appreciate the help that was given by the WF Staff, The MWC BOD and the additional volunteers that stepped up in any way to help out where needed. Whether leading a trail or picking up more firewood, all help made this event what it was.....one to be remembered!! Thanks again.

Cheeseman-OUT!