• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail list

BlkXJ21

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, another newbie question: Where do I find a good list of public trails, particularly in Illinois/Indiana? Every site I go to shows the same three trails. Is that all there is in this area?

Haspin Acres is in Indiana (southeast of Indianapolis). There is Silver lake Michigan to run sand dunes. There may be a few others that I do not know of (other then cliffs and Badlands) and I have not been to either of those I listed; but they are options.

IntrepidXJ said:
Only public trails in IL are located in the Shawnee National Forest in southern IL....and they are mostly easy forest roads.

The Cliffs in Marseilles, IL and the Badlands in Attica, IN are really your only 2 options close to your area.

That's why I moved out of IL ;)

Randy/all:
I was looking at the Shawnee N.F. web page and they state that there currently is no ORV/ATV off-road trails available. Did they change regulations or rules?

BlackCat01 said:
Randy/all:
I was looking at the Shawnee N.F. web page and they state that there currently is no ORV/ATV off-road trails available. Did they change regulations or rules?
No they did not.
The "Forest Roads" are the trails.
They are public roads, just like any other road in Illinois.
In fact, state highway 75, through our town is is in just about the same condition....

seanR said:
No they did not.
The "Forest Roads" are the trails.
They are public roads, just like any other road in Illinois.
In fact, state highway 75, through our town is is in just about the same condition....

This is correct.
Not really maintained, but still considered "roads".
100_4047.jpg

100_4000.jpg

Not hairy, knarly trails by any means. If you're looking for a nice scenic wheeling trip, Shawnee is a great place. Lots of good places to eat down there too.

100_4048.jpg

it looks beautiful; let's do it. i'm thinking late June (maybe the 22nd?) so everyone can get plans made. anyone familiar with the area that can give us some direction to the trails/roads would be helpful.

Last edited:
geaganj said:
anyone familiar with the area that can give us some direction to the trails/roads would be helpful.

Good luck with that one.....

Sweet; the forest roads look like a nice trip for the family (wife does not want to go to the off-raod parks). Thanks for the info guys.

The June 22nd date would not work for me and it is the same date as the Meet-n-greet that Ben is setting up. July or earlier June and I would be in.

well, here are a few dates to think about:

June 7/8 - I think that's the week my kids get out of school (so I'd rather not do it that weekend)
June 14/15 - Father's Day weekend
June 21/22 - Meet-n-Greet; NTB-New Lenox (sorry 'bout that, Ben; didn't forget, just forgot. huh?)
June 28/29 - open
July 5/6 - 4th of July weekend
July 12/13 - open
July 19/20 - open
July 26/27 - family wedding

So, that's my life for those two months. I don't mind putting some plans together, but a)I've never done it & b) I've never been. So, if anyone with some experience wants to take the reigns, I'd be happy to help. If it were up to me, I'd probably lean toward either June 21/22 or 28/29 but I could do it sometime in July. FYI, our plan would be to go down on Friday, camp for the weekend, trail on Saturday, come back Sunday.

I think we should finalize the date, then start a new thread with the invite. Agree??? OK, look forward to some feedback on this. Thanks!

I'm not exactly sure where the forest roads are but I live in southern Illinois and would be up for a meet and trail riding if/when you guys come down. Just let me know.

So, I'm thinking the weekend of July 12 & 13. I'll do some research, then start a new thread with my thoughts & details. Thanks for the feedback from everyone, look forward to meeting some of you soon!

Man, looks even better than I thought. I definitely want to go now. I'm just a bit concerned about putting together a trip when I've never even gone to one, let alone put one together!!! I may try to contact SIJA and see if someone would be interested in joining us. Thanks for sharing Randy.

geaganj said:
Man, looks even better than I thought. I definitely want to go now. I'm just a bit concerned about putting together a trip when I've never even gone to one, let alone put one together!!! I may try to contact SIJA and see if someone would be interested in joining us. Thanks for sharing Randy.

Bounty Hunter from SIJA showed us around last time. Great guy. There is another SIJA member that is very fimiliar with Shawnee, but I believe that he's moving to Georgia. I'd be willing to bet one of them would be willing to help out. There all good guys.

Back