• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE3.5 on 96XJ need driveline mods?

cshontz

NAXJA Forum User
I'm selling my TJ and claiming our family-XJ (auto) as my own.

I have my eye on the RE 3.5, but I'm basically wondering if I'm going to feel vibes without addition mods (ie: sye/cv). What do you all think?

I had a 95XJ (5 spd) w/ RE4.5 years ago, and I know I didn't install SYE or a t-case drop, but I did have minor vibrations, and I hyper-extended the rear shaft a few times on the trail.

The only difference between now and then is: ... now I'm more of a wus. I plan to run less lift, smaller tires, and I don't have tolerance for any vibrations. This is going to get me to the mall in style. :cool:

xjtires-1.jpg

Are you getting the add-a-leaf or the full packs? I ask because I have the full leafs in the back and it ended up being about 4.5 inches of lift back there. As such, the driveshaft was way out of tolerance and I had to clearance the yokes a little with the grinder to even get them to quit binding, let alone vibrate. I put in a transfer case with SYE (my case was shot anyway) and put in a double-cardon rear shaft, and the vibrations are gone. Were I you, I would plan for SYE and new rear shaft.

Good Luck.

I've done two of these

I have two daughters with these kits on them. The 1997 drives very well and the 2001 has vibes in the front because Jeep, in all its wisdom, went to a low pinion in the front in 2000. Neither of these have the SYE and are running 31s. could have run 33x10.50s on stock rims. We tried 32x11.50s but were too wide for the stock rims and wore out quickly. At first they were both at 4.5" You do get some settling after awhile. Danno

I have a '96 with a 4" lift on it. I had to drop the t-case due to slight vibrations. It was no big deal and cheap. You could go SYE or hack and tap, but it is more $ and for a 3.5" lift I think dropping would be the way to go. You could put the lift on and test drive it with no drop and if you need to drop go ahead. That is what I would do.

Curt

I have a 5.5 RE and my case is dropped, it did vibrate horribly before that.

Back