• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

budget lighting, virgin.

Mike H.

NAXJA Forum User
Ok.
I currently am running the IPF/magic J's for stock replacement headlights. No modifications the the wiring harness. They suit my on-road requirements rather well, so I'm leaving them alone.

Now, auxiliary lighting…
I guess I “rock crawl”… sorta, anyways, I’m not in the game to run flat out baja style. Rather, I just want to light up an area ahead of me that allows me to see different lines than the one straight ahead.
I was thinking that sounds like flood lighting, but, I don’t know. I would rather steer clear of dual batteries, and would like to control the auxiliary lights independent of my factor headlights. So, when I turn the headlights on, I don’t want these things lighting up. I think I want to mount them on the bumper, but don’t know where the best placement would be, so I’m open to suggestions.
Would like to do backup lighting as well, however this would have to go on the roof as my c-roc bumber is flush with the back hatch/taillights.

Please educate me.

I like fog lights & driving lights both. Mine are mounted on each side of the stock fog light position with the fog lights outboard. My fog lights are still hooked up to the factory wiring & it sucks. I've got the relays & swich kits, just haven't istalled it yet. I really like the lights on the roof thing but it doesn't work in the woods here in the pnw.You tend to lose them to low hanging branches,but if I wheeled in more open terrain I would definately go that route. long range lights on a roof bar are awesome but I trashed the lights, bar & the roof on a ramcharger a few years back while thrashing in the woods.

If you go with a decent set of flood lights on the top of the front bumper it would probably work pretty well. Just make sure to use a properly rated relay for the wattage lamps you end up using. You're also going to want to keep the runs from the batt to the relay and relay to lights as short as feasable. I also believe in overkill so i would go with a real heavy guage wire on the load circut.

As for the rear...a set of light duty flood lights would more than likely suffice. Again use a relay. Some thing I've heard of doing is running the control side of the reverse floods off of the factory circut that way they only come on when the gear shift is in reverse (helps to avoid blinding those behind you on the way home if you forget to turn them off...lol) but with the slew of bad/questionable neutral safety switches these trucks are notorious for...it might not work...

I have seen guys mount low profile fog lamps under the roof rack rails... I thought that looked really clean and didn't throw off the asthetics too badly.

either way enough rambling....hth

Back