• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keep Virgin from destroying the internet...

lancey3

NAXJA Forum User
Keep Virgin from destroying the internet...

banner.jpg

The new CEO of Virgin Media, Neil Berkett, has openly stated in an interview that they think net neutrality is “a load of bollocks” and claimed they're already doing deals to deliver some people’s content faster than others. They would then put websites and services that don't pay Virgin in the "slow lane", meaning those sites would load slowly and cause most users to give up using them, feeling forced to use whatever Virgin wants to push through their network.
This is not the first time an internet provider infringes upon net neutrality, but it is the first time that an ISP so brutally states that they simply plan to limit internet access to a television-like system in which the access provider completely regulates the content you have access to.
Virgin Media has over 3.5 million customers in the UK and the real danger is that when they start applying this system to their network, all major internet providers around the globe will soon follow the trend. Because this is exactly what major ISP's have been wanting to do for years.
But we can stop it.
If the masses of the internet react against this, we will set an example of what happens when one provider tries to take away our freedom. We will make it very clear that any ISP who tries to infringe upon net neutrality will see its popularity go down the drain because the users don't accept it. And we'll see to it that only the providers who care about safeguarding our internet freedom have our support.
Speak out in any way you can and spread the word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA5ZR_jxdXU
More info plus quotes from the original article from Television Magazine

Links:
the news article at torrentfreak
I Power - the group and community behind this initiative
Net Neutrality on Wikipedia

Sorry, interweb petitions are only worth the cyber paper they are printed on, and the market will find it's own level. If Vigin doesn't do a good job, sombody else will. Whenever there is a way to make a buck providing a service, somebody will make that buck. Ask Ebay how their politics have benefited them in the past year.

They already do make their buck as an ISP. They just want more money and controll over what you can easily accses. What might help this situation is a petition telling telling Virgin that if they procede with their plans they will go elsewhere for their internet. All they will need to see is a negative sign infront of their projected profits and they will not go ahead with it.

~Alex

It would be like jeep making you pay more for using your jeep how you want to. Like: O you like to go offroad well instead of 349 a month 449. The internet is a free place where we can express ourselves. Do everything you can to make it stay that way. What if you had to pay more to go to NAXJA how would you feel then?

Food for thought.

There's a new "version" of the Internet coming out in the next year or two anyway. Tim Berners-Lee (father of it all) and his group of Swiss geniuses are working on revising the current WWW. But anyway...
There are "rules" to the Internet. And I'm confident that an ISP would lose their license if Timmy felt like they were violating the concept he devised.

JNickel101 said:
There's a new "version" of the Internet coming out in the next year or two anyway. Tim Berners-Lee (father of it all) and his group of Swiss geniuses are working on revising the current WWW. But anyway...
There are "rules" to the Internet. And I'm confident that an ISP would lose their license if Timmy felt like they were violating the concept he devised.

If you're talking about web 2.0 thats far from a new version (even though you had it in quotes). Tim Berners-Lee doesn't have any sort of jurisdiction as to what happens on the internets.

lancey3 said:
If you're talking about web 2.0 thats far from a new version (even though you had it in quotes). Tim Berners-Lee doesn't have any sort of jurisdiction as to what happens on the internets.

No. Semantic Web.

and he oversees the World Wide Web Consortium. They have more power than you think. In the end, power comes to who has control of the 7 "servers" that power the heart of the "Internet".

JNickel101 said:
No. Semantic Web.

and he oversees the World Wide Web Consortium. They have more power than you think. In the end, power comes to who has control of the 7 "servers" that power the heart of the "Internet".
Congratulations, you just pegged my bogosometer.

ChiXJeff said:
Congratulations, you just pegged my bogosometer.
LOL

Most British ISPs have been prioritising traffic for sometime. It is not unusual to have contract T's&C's with a fair usage clause. This usually states that the ISP reserves the right to restrict bandwidth (by traffic shaping) to services or content that THEY think is unfairly consuming THEIR resources or affecting other customers.

People that use peer to peer file sharing often find that their 2 Mbps connection is no faster than a 56K modem when the traffic monitoring kicks in. ISPs have been getting a little smarter in recent times by using port based shaping. It was really frustrating to pick up a new dynamic IP address only to find that the previous user was running edonkey or similar as all traffic on the new IP address was slowed.

Traffic shaping based on bandwidth usage is more than a bit different than what is being bandied about in the first post. This is an action taken by an ISP when they find out their modeling of bandwidth usage no longer applies, and that they've oversubscribed their client base. This will get worse as client access bandwidth aka last-mile gets faster, and the outbound pipes aren't increased.

Virgin is by no means the first to propose such measures. And they won't be the last.

I can't believe that you're defending this you guys. You guys can cede your freedoms to the corporations; as for myself I will not stand for it.

lancey3 said:
I can't believe that you're defending this you guys. You guys can cede your freedoms to the corporations; as for myself I will not stand for it.

Let me gues... your 18? I miss being idealistic:laugh2:

(yes i know it was not long ago i was GUYS!)
:moon:

scrappy again said:
Let me gues... your 18? I miss being idealistic:laugh2:

(yes i know it was not long ago i was GUYS!)
:moon:

Its not an idealistic thing. People EVERYWHERE will be affected.

lancey3 said:
It would be like jeep making you pay more for using your jeep how you want to. Like: O you like to go offroad well instead of 349 a month 449.
They already do. Want the off-road goodies, they cost more. Want the multimedia, it costs more. :D

Worry about it when someone says
I heard some were that virgin was changing there name to SKYNET......:flame: BAM its Judgement day

:rattle: Things change all the time and we cant do anything about it :conceited

78/xj88 said:
Worry about it when someone says
I heard some were that virgin was changing there name to SKYNET......:flame: BAM its Judgement day

:rattle: Things change all the time and we cant do anything about it :conceited

Thats sad.

Back