• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help!!!, It's hot in the Virgin Islands.

gman

NAXJA Forum User
1989 Jeep Cherokee's air condition stopped working, what I noticed is that the clutch on the Sanden compressor has stopped spinning. I would like to know if their is a fuse or connection that I may check, or is it a job for the dealer. Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

It is an R12 system, generally R134 systems started in I think ~1992. Your freon charge is the first suspect, either just low thru age or you have a leak. You could go pick up a can and hose then recharge the system and see if it works then. If it does and then quits after a week or two then you have a leak and need to have it fixed. The reason it won't cycle is there is a low pressure switch in that silver tower that senses when the level is low.
If it has never been done or touched it might be worthwhile to have it professionally serviced, vacumn the system, replace seals and maybe the tower, recharge and it should be OK to go. How bad is the rust and corrosion out there ?? If it needs alot of new parts it might be worthwhile to have it converted to R134 including the compressor. The total new A/C system as a package goes for around $500 for all the parts in a kit plus shipping. Alot you could do yourself, just have the ac shop drain the old system, you remove all the old parts, install all the new and let them check it out and dry out any moisture then recharge.

Hi gman,
Nice to hear of another jeeper in the VI. :party: I am also from the the islands and lived on the BVI for 15 years. I will be down there some time this year. Maybe we could get together then.
Since I am ot an expert at AC, I will let the experts help you. I usually fix my own AC using seat-of-the-pants and gutt feeling until I am satisfied.
This is the best 4X4 club to be in especially if you have an XJ. Keep reading the board even if you do not have a problem.

Patrick.

mine sticks alot, i just tap it and it starts on its own
good luck
jimmy
its hot and humid in south carolina

Back