NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old October 4th, 2018, 19:16
NAXJA Forum User

Re: XJ radiators, a review.

Just got my mishimoto in this week but it's sitting in the box ready for a trip to the mechanic. i will definitely look at the welds after seeing this thread. thanks! overall i've heard really enthusiastic reviews on it and considering the price vs more expensive high end radiators, i got a coupon at morris 4x4 that brought it down to $360 shipped couldnt pass on it. previously i overheating once on a long climb with AC on--by overheat i meat 235 didn't like that. will definitely do a review on it once i get it in provided no cracked welds.
Old October 4th, 2018, 19:19
NAXJA Warranty Voider

I haven't gotten around to writing it up yet but my Mishimoto is installed.

A few fit and finish issues. Only have 10 miles on it, can't say it performs any better or worse than the Mopar yet.
Old October 4th, 2018, 19:23
NAXJA Forum User

i was getting up to 218-220 at idle in the summer here in CA. jeep is stock, new to me so not exactly sure how old the radiator and pump are but i did flush the coolant and it's nice and clean. i did replace the clutch with no help on idle temp. hoping the mishimoto, new mopar pump/thermostat keep my temps in line.
Old October 4th, 2018, 19:35
NAXJA Warranty Voider

I was at 227 in my driveway idling.

Also possible I have a blown engine. Drove 3-4 miles at 70 with no coolant.
Old October 5th, 2018, 07:51
NAXJA Forum User

May I ask what the test protocol will be?

I am loving this. I currently have 5 XJs and an MJ, so I am constantly in the market for a radiator.
Old October 5th, 2018, 08:59
NAXJA Warranty Voider

For the most part, you've already read the testing.

I just wanted to put my hands on them and not pick off of advertising material. The rest of them go back this weekend.

Drove the jeep to work today. Suspecting i have a cracked head, so my high temps are probably not the cooling systems fault.
Old October 5th, 2018, 10:23
NAXJA Forum User

Hey everybody,

I just wanted to jump in and answer questions / respond to comments here. Sorry I didn't see your PM Cal, we usually transfer forum responsibilities to our customer service team after product release, so I didn't get the email notification, and they've been swamped lately with a lot of product releases going on.

First, I wanted to say thank you for reviewing our rad and providing feedback!

One of the comments that I wanted to address was the coverage of the warranty for our products bought on Amazon. We do fully honor our warranty for products purchased from Amazon. As long as you have a copy of your receipt, we can replace the product under our lifetime warranty.

Where Amazon gets tricky is if the customer were to request a refund more than 90 days after purchasing from Amazon. When we issue refunds for products under our warranty, we work with the vendor to issue the refund. After 90 days, Amazon is not very cooperative in that process.

But, we will always honor our warranty on products purchased through Amazon as long as you have that receipt. Registering your product on our website also gives you the option to upload a copy of that receipt to our system so that it will never be lost and our CS team can speed up the warranty process.

Also in regards to our warranty, we do charge a shipping fee for the replacement product, but we do not ask that you send the failed product back to us. The shipping charge for this particular radiator would be $15 within 90 days of purchase, or $30 after 90 days.

You can see our entire warranty policy here: Mishimoto Lifetime Warranty

Finally, I did ask our engineering team to check out that weld. The crack most likely happened from the heat cycling of the brazing process. That weld is a tack weld whose only purpose is to hold that plate in place during brazing and should not penetrate into the end-tank. The welds that make up the end-tanks are TIG welds with much deeper penetration. All of our radiators are leak tested before they are shipped to our customers.

On many radiators, you'll see a top and bottom plate that is not a coolant tube. This plate's main function is to support the tubes and fins and hold the end tanks in place on the core during the brazing process. One end tank is welded to each of those plates, the tubes and fins are inserted into the end-tank, then the other tank is tacked in place. It is the brazing that actually holds the components in place, including that top plate. In fact, many manufacturers will cut all the way through this plate to allow the radiator to naturally expand and contract.

So, while the crack might look bad, that weld serves no purpose in the actual structural stability of the radiator after the brazing process is complete. It's the brazing that holds the end-tanks to the core and provides rigidity to the radiator mounting.

Sorry for the crazy long post; I hope that answers your questions, feel free to let me know if you have any more!

-Steve
Old October 5th, 2018, 10:29
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Thanks Steve!

I installed the radiator yesterday. Generally very impressed by it compared to the others. I have a few notes (i had to go buy hardware for the top studs as they were a different size from my mopar and griffin radiators), and the shroud mounts on the bottom are a hair taller than my OEM radiator, so i had to open up the upper holes in the shroud a bit to bolt it up.

Also the barb for the quick disconnect on the trans line was a bit too long and the disconnect wouldn't clip in - i ended up cutting about 1/8" off the end of that barb.

Took pictures, will post them this afternoon.
Old October 5th, 2018, 10:37
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal View Post
Thanks Steve!

I installed the radiator yesterday. Generally very impressed by it compared to the others. I have a few notes (i had to go buy hardware for the top studs as they were a different size from my mopar and griffin radiators), and the shroud mounts on the bottom are a hair taller than my OEM radiator, so i had to open up the upper holes in the shroud a bit to bolt it up.

Also the barb for the quick disconnect on the trans line was a bit too long and the disconnect wouldn't clip in - i ended up cutting about 1/8" off the end of that barb.

Took pictures, will post them this afternoon.
I completely forgot to ask what the fit and finish issues you ran into were; thanks for letting me know! I'll pass this on to our team so that we can make sure everything is QC'd properly. What size hardware did you end up having to get? I'm wondering if maybe there was a change in hardware at some point or maybe the HD MOPAR rads use a different spec?

Thanks again!
-Steve
Old October 5th, 2018, 10:55
NAXJA Warranty Voider

I ended up buying M5-.8 nylocs and some small fender washers. The studs may have been #10-32 machine thread, but the local hardware store didn't have that and its *really* close to M5.

Hard to get a clear shot, but the quick disconnect wouldn't quite clip in.

Tip to rib, all of the other radiators were 3/4" and the Mishimoto was 7/8". That's something you probably want to look into, but it was 2 seconds for me to address. This may be an issue with an aftermarket radiator line, but the others were all consistent at 3/4"

I was really impressed that you included the tabs for the ac condenser, and that you gave a solid plug for the overflow in case this was installed in a closed system car.

Looks like I didn't take any pictures of the shroud, but it basically sat about 1/8" proud of where it did on the prior radiator, and wouldn't bolt to the upper core support. I just brushed the bolt hole on the shroud with a file and it went together.

Last edited by cal; October 5th, 2018 at 11:18.
Old October 5th, 2018, 11:02
NAXJA Warranty Voider

I'm really happy to hear that you guys do honor Amazon purchases. I had read somewhere that you won't. I'll get mine registered shortly.

Now I just have to send the rest of these back and hopefully get refunds before I'm paying interest on $1000 in radiators.
Old October 5th, 2018, 11:33
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks for the feedback, Cal. I'll definitely pass it on.

It looks like we do specify M5x0.8 for the upper mounting hardware. I know we were able to reuse the stock hardware on our test vehicle, but I'm having trouble finding an official spec for those. Do you know what the OEM spec is?

The engineer for this project is out right now, but when he gets back, I'll run that spec by him and see if we should be including nuts with the radiator.

Thanks again, and have fun with the returns

-Steve
Old October 5th, 2018, 12:59
NAXJA Warranty Voider

I have no idea what OEM is. Hell, OEM could be M5. The griffin uses a much larger stud, maybe 1/4". The Mopar unit had slots on top and runs a carriage bolt upside down, and its entirely possible I had the wrong hardware there - I bought this car used and someone had really worked it over. I moved those bolts over when I swapped the Mopar in and re-used the existing hardware.
Old October 5th, 2018, 13:08
NAXJA Warranty Voider

FYI, your site has failed to let me register about 5 times now. I'll try it again in a couple of days.

Old October 5th, 2018, 14:16
NAXJA Forum User

Seems like I'm late to the party but just to throw my 2 pennies in the mix... I had a CSF 3 core years ago that was highly recommended on a local forum I used to frequent. It was garbage honestly. Temps wouldn't stay down even in easy driving and cool ambient temps. Then the thing cracked on me after only about a year. I went to a 2 core aluminum. Don't remember the brand honestly, but I remember it was only around $150 and i haven't had a single complaint to lodge about it. Works great even when being taxed quite a bit on hot days in the mountains. I think sometimes simplicity truly wins out.